Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to make my husband understand...IT'S MY BUSINESS!!!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

I've been calling myself a SAHM, but it's not completely true...I am a WORK-at-home Mom, most of the time. I am a personal trainer out of my home. Three years ago, we added a 2 car garage onto our house and converted the 2 car detached garage into my studio. We bought high-end new equipment and tools, and I have had a successful business ever since. I have clients at LEAST 3 days a week, and during peak times of the years 5 days a week, sometimes up to 10 clients a day! We were able to pay off the addition, remodel, and equipment in a year and a half. I love my "job"...I make fantastic money, have a great contract, and I don't miss out on a single minute with my family, but here's my problem:

Lately, my DH thinks it's okay to pop into my studio when I'm working with a client. I've told him it is OFF-LIMITS when I am working. It makes me look completely unprofessional, not to mention how uncomfortable it makes my clients feel. I thought he understood, until today. I was spotting, and in he walks to see if I'd be done to have lunch with him (in other words, would I be making him his lunch?). I couldn't just walk him out, but I did give him the dirtiest of looks and he left. When  he got home a while ago, he said he didn't think it was that big of a deal! I told him he'd think differently if I lost my clients and didn't have the money coming in! Did he absorb that? NO! He's moping around here like a baby.

I don't know what to do...do I lock the door (I don't think that will fly with the county Board of Health!)? Grrrr! I am so mad that he doesn't get it! HELP!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:43 PM

What does he do? I say start going to his office or place of employment and see how he feels.

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Make a nice large pretty sign that reads IN SESSION do not disturb and make sure you hang it up whenever you have a client over.

He has to be pretty thick headed to realize people dont want specatators when they are bustingtheir rump.

LittleMomma13
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:46 PM

I'd seriously be pissed. That is your job! It puts money in his pocket as well and its seriously rude. I would deffinetly have a major talk with him. and he's a big boy he can make his own lunch without you

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:46 PM

That sucks that he doesnt get it...I know if I was working out somewhere and someones husband came in, I'd feel uncomfortable...So I dont know how to put that it 'man terms' lol.

Just sit him down and tell him AGAIN that when you are working you are WORKING and that popping in whenever he wants makes the clients uncomfortable and they just might not come back again...That it looks very unprofessional. It would be like having one of your kids coming in and out, ya know...

I'm sorry...I hope he figures it out. Men need it spelled out for them, lol. Thats awesome you have a stuido though! Congrats on that!!

I am a 24 year old SAHM of 2 beautiful kids that are the light of my life and my reason for living! I've found the love of my life and we have made a beautiful home together. I'm starting college and am working toward an RN degree...Life is perfect!

lvnmylif
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Let him mope for a few days then sit down and have a serious chat.  Try to get him to put himself in your shoes.  For instance my DH is a police officer.  If it were me I would ask him how he would feel if I stopped while he was on a car stop and asked him about some mundane thing.  I would not end the conversation until DH understood just how serious it was to me and we had clear guidelines.  If you don't already have your daily schedule where he can see it and let him know how long before and after each client you are off limits.  You could maybe put a red light on the outside with a switch and turn it on when the studio is off limits.  I'm sure he feels a bit rejected because I know I would too.  Thing is he does need to understand your position on this. 

luv_my_xiya

agreed...or keep calling him at work and see if he likes it

Quoting KimmyShaw:

What does he do? I say start going to his office or place of employment and see how he feels.

NoR_CaL_MoMmY

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Make a nice large pretty sign that reads IN SESSION do not disturb and make sure you hang it up whenever you have a client over.

He has to be pretty thick headed to realize people dont want specatators when they are bustingtheir rump.

Thats a great idea!!!

I am a 24 year old SAHM of 2 beautiful kids that are the light of my life and my reason for living! I've found the love of my life and we have made a beautiful home together. I'm starting college and am working toward an RN degree...Life is perfect!

lifehappy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Thick-headed he is! He used to train, so I think HE thinks he's part of the team, or whatever. I do have a sign on the door, so he's just being dumb. Maybe I'll just start charging him every time he walks in!

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM

get a lock for the door.

justinejoy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Men usually mope when they feel bad and know they have upset you but don't know how to say all that and make it better.  Ego thing! lol  I would just try to talk to him, he doesn't sound super angry or irrational right now.  And tell him something like .. I know you love to have lunch w/me on the days your home and I love spending time with you.. but when I am w/a client bla blah (not really blah, but you know, I need my privacy w/them etc.) and maybe even tell him from a clients POV, maybe they don't like working out w/other people watching or distractions and thats why they pay you the big bucks - so you can give them that hour of uninterrupted muscle building and fat burning..LOL  idk, something like that.  But it really does sound like he might really feel bad and is willing to talk more and try to really understand.  Good luck :)

Justine butterfly on head  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)