Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Out-door kitty? Cat lovers, I need your help!

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

My husband love, love, LOVES cats. I'm a dog person. Mainly because I'm allegic to cats. But, somehow, a lovely part siamese kitty chose to live right outside our door. Husband has named her Rory. I knew when he gave her a name she was a permanent addition... I found out later he'd been feeding her for a week! lol She's been declawed and appears to have been a housecat at some point (she really, really wants in.. but we just can't, unless I want to lose my ability to breath without a nasal cannula and canned air). There aren't any other animals outdoors in our little neighborhood, so we won't have to worry about her getting into fights and she seems street savvy (stays away from cars and hangs out on our porch, sunning herself mostly). She's super sweet and very 'talkative'. I'll come home from work and she greets me with lots of mrrowing, purring, and leg rubbing. I feed her bologna and she thinks I'm awesome. We've bonded. lol So... my question is this... what do I need to know about an outdoor cat? Hubs has only ever had an indoor kitty, and I know little to nothing about cats in general. What should we have for her?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Are you sure she isnt someones cat already? Our cats go in and out and dont have collars. And our neighbors cats come over and play and visit as well, and if we put our cats food outside, they eat it too...

I'd make sure she isnt someone's cat (maybe flyers?) before adopting her. Otherwise she needs shots, a checkup at the vet, and flea medicine. I beleive my cats got micro-chipped when we adopted them so maybe that cat has one as well.

Otherwise, cats are super easy and as long as she has food and fresh water, you dont need to do much!

I am a 24 year old SAHM of 2 beautiful kids that are the light of my life and my reason for living! I've found the love of my life and we have made a beautiful home together. I'm starting college and am working toward an RN degree...Life is perfect!

lyranightshade
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Stray cats are an epidemic around here. I live in a rural area where it's common practice to dump a pet that's 'gotten too old' and get a new one. I just assumed she was that kind of case, as well, but I'll definitely put up flyers! I had no idea cats were so easy. lol Like I said, i'm a dog person and dogs require lots and lots of attention. Thank you!

Quoting NoR_CaL_MoMmY:

Are you sure she isnt someones cat already? Our cats go in and out and dont have collars. And our neighbors cats come over and play and visit as well, and if we put our cats food outside, they eat it too...

I'd make sure she isnt someone's cat (maybe flyers?) before adopting her. Otherwise she needs shots, a checkup at the vet, and flea medicine. I beleive my cats got micro-chipped when we adopted them so maybe that cat has one as well.

Otherwise, cats are super easy and as long as she has food and fresh water, you dont need to do much!

two4one
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I agree that you should advertise to see if she's someone's cat. Also, take her to the vet and have her scanned for a chip. If you do wind up keeping her, she should be vaccinated against all communicable diseases. Also, siamese cats tend to be easier on allergies than other cats. You could possibly keep her indoors.

• Use a spray which can be applied to the cat’s fur to neutralize or reduce allergens on its fur. The apparent “effectiveness” of these sprays varies as some people are more allergic than others.
  • Restrict the cat’s access to certain rooms. Some rooms should be kept cat-free. Don’t let the cat sleep in your bedroom as it will leave behind dust-coated fur.
  • Invest in a good air filter unit. These are not cheap, but they extract the minute dandruff particles which pass through most vacuum cleaners.
  •  Bathe it in distilled water each month to wash away dried saliva dust. Tap water leaves residues on the cat’s fur.
  • Have your partner do the grooming
  •  Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Laura4807
    by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM

she needs a flea collar... and real cat food. lol

Also, sometimes people who are allergic to cats develop an immunity to the dander. Felines have 7 different kinds of dander and its possible you're not allergic to ALL of them. I'm allergic to cats, but not ALL cats. My SIL's cats KILL me... but my cat at home doesnt. Same with my moms two cats, who are outside cats.

Good luck :-) Siamese cats are cool.

Im, Laura. I hope you learned that from my screen name. If not, well now you know. I live in Alaska. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a Snow Ninja. Although, my day job is standing outside in front of my igloo looking like Igloo Trash in my snow boots, seal skin tank top & short skirt and screaming profanities at my neighbors. I'm marvelous, I know. I have a daughter named Lorelai. Her daddy is Chris and together we make one big family of Igloo trash. Be Jealous.

lyranightshade
    by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM

lol We're getting her real cat food today. We had been feeding her left over dog food from when we were fostering (it's still fresh, kept in tupperware containers) and bologna... but a kitty needs kitty food. I didn't know there were different types of dander! That's neat! Maybe we'll experiment this weekend, if no one claims her. I put an ad up in our newspaper online (it's free!) and if no one's called in a week to claim her, then she'll be our kitty. I'm kind of excited. I've never bonded with a cat before. They all look suspicious, sneaky, calculating. Not this one. She's pretty much, "Feed me, love me!" all the time. lol It's cute.

Quoting Laura4807:

she needs a flea collar... and real cat food. lol

Also, sometimes people who are allergic to cats develop an immunity to the dander. Felines have 7 different kinds of dander and its possible you're not allergic to ALL of them. I'm allergic to cats, but not ALL cats. My SIL's cats KILL me... but my cat at home doesnt. Same with my moms two cats, who are outside cats.

Good luck :-) Siamese cats are cool.

Punky_1981
    by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I have a Siamese that is like the one on your porch. "Feed me, love me, play with me, rub me" lol. Other cats have made me sneeze and get congested before, but Misty doesn't. It's weird. I didn't know there were other types of dander either until we got her. You should see if she bothers your allergies. Since I have had her, the only cat that makes me sneeze is my friends long haired cat. I now have Munchkin and Misty, I don't sneeze with either one of them. Munchkin of course isn't a Siamese, but his fur doesn't bother me either. Good luck with your kitty!

May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

lyranightshade
    by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Thanks! She's really DH's kitty. He's getting me a puppy for Christmas. I'm IN LOVE with Newfoundlands. They're everything a good dog should be. I can handle the slobber. lol We're looking for a rescue... we don't really want a breeder. But, really, any puppy'll do (as long as it's lazy.. I want a nappin' buddy). Rory, the kitty, is really sweet. Super gentle even when I was hand feeding her.

Quoting Punky_1981:

I have a Siamese that is like the one on your porch. "Feed me, love me, play with me, rub me" lol. Other cats have made me sneeze and get congested before, but Misty doesn't. It's weird. I didn't know there were other types of dander either until we got her. You should see if she bothers your allergies. Since I have had her, the only cat that makes me sneeze is my friends long haired cat. I now have Munchkin and Misty, I don't sneeze with either one of them. Munchkin of course isn't a Siamese, but his fur doesn't bother me either. Good luck with your kitty!

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)