Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A few questions about my almost 8mo

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son will be 8 months on the 28th.  He is EBF and absolutely REFUSES to take a bottle of breast milk.  He will not take a sippy cup of juice, water, breast milk... nothing.  He will not spoon feed.  So all that he gets is breast milk.  I know its fine for now but the kid is going to eventually have to learn how to eat solids.  He will clamp his mouth shut when I try to give him things and if I do happen to get it in his mouth, he will gag and spit it out.

How can I get him to spoon feed or take a bottle?

Also, we also co-sleep.  Recently DH has been expressing that he wants him to start sleeping in his own bed.  Which is fine, but where do I even begin?  He wakes up if I move him so even if he fell asleep on me and I lay him in our bed I usually have to rock or nurse him back to sleep while laying next to him.  On top of that he is usually up within an hour screaming for me. 

Any advice on breaking the co-sleeping?  I am not a fan of CIO.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM

if you don't have any advice can you please leave a bump?  Thanks.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM

bump

mnmsmom2008
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Keep giving him food to experiment with, he'll get it one of these days.  My kids especially liked to feed themselves, with finger foods (I just cut stuff up super teeny tiny at first).  Mashed stuff I added a little milk/water to make it less pasty.  WAtch out, they're crazy messy until they get the hang of it.  Oh, and give table food, my kids would gag and refuse jarred baby food and I don't blame them lol.

No advice on the other, I bf/co-slept for years and still do the co-sleeping most nights.

TheSinFamily
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM

will the crib be in your room or in his own room? The CIO alternative is to be next to the crib to let baby know you are there and slowly leave the room. Start with nap times, lay him down telling him it's naptime and soothe him (either by rubbing his head/back, patting his bottom, whatever he needs) Then sit next to his crib. The first few times lay him back down and tell him it's naptime. Then after that don't say anything when he gets us, just keep laying him back down. Sit there until he's asleep. After a while you are suppose to move the chair/sit closer to the door until he no longer needs you in the room and he learns to self soothe. I forget what this method is called.

As far as the EBF thing - I totally understand! My second child refused everything too (bottles, pacifiers, etc). He might not be interested in jar foods, so let him try some soft things (banana, avocado, or even stage 3 lumpy food in a bowl) to self feed and see how that goes. Always keep a sippy cup of water around so he doens't feel forced to drink it, and let him try it at his own pace, eventually he will.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM

bump

blakie123
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:38 PM

bump 

b

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)