Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This has been bothering me

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM
  • 10 Replies

I went back home from 10-29 to 11-4. One night we (my dad, brother, cousin, and myself) were sitting on my dads porch. There were tons of kids wondering around( dad lives across the street from a small park) Well most were walking down the middle of the road not watching out for cars. so my dad told them he though they should get out of the road so they dont get hit. Well this little boy my brother use to baby sit was walking around by himself. He is 6 years old and is Autistic. He can not talk, and does not know sign language either. He tries to talk but he just cant say words. Well he saw my brother and got excited and came over. Well his brother was at the park (8 years old) and he was to be watching his brother. Well the 6 year old kept "asking" if he could move in with any one of us. We kept telling him no he needed to go home and stay with his mom. He saw the dogs and got excited but then they barked and it scared him to death. dogs were in the house and we were outside, so he saw them through the window. Well his brother ended up have to come carry him off our porch because he did not want to leave, he wanted to move in with any one of us( he had never meet any of us except my brother and he did not care) I can not figure out for the life of me, Why would anyone let their 6 or even 8 yo especially a child with autism roam around town by themselves. And if he was so  about moving in with any of us what is going on at his house. And why is his mother not doing anything to help him communicate with people. My dad went to school with their mom and she cares about nothing but her drugs. I asked his brother if he knew sign language and he told me no, no one had taught him.

My brother and Mason

Italy Bound Until 08/2011

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Quoting Cressida:

I went back home from 10-29 to 11-4. One night we (my dad, brother, cousin, and myself) were sitting on my dads porch. There were tons of kids wondering around( dad lives across the street from a small park) Well most were walking down the middle of the road not watching out for cars. so my dad told them he though they should get out of the road so they dont get hit. Well this little boy my brother use to baby sit was walking around by himself. He is 6 years old and is Autistic. He can not talk, and does not know sign language either. He tries to talk but he just cant say words. Well he saw my brother and got excited and came over. Well his brother was at the park (8 years old) and he was to be watching his brother. Well the 6 year old kept "asking" if he could move in with any one of us. We kept telling him no he needed to go home and stay with his mom. He saw the dogs and got excited but then they barked and it scared him to death. dogs were in the house and we were outside, so he saw them through the window. Well his brother ended up have to come carry him off our porch because he did not want to leave, he wanted to move in with any one of us( he had never meet any of us except my brother and he did not care) I can not figure out for the life of me, Why would anyone let their 6 or even 8 yo especially a child with autism roam around town by themselves. And if he was so  about moving in with any of us what is going on at his house. And why is his mother not doing anything to help him communicate with people. My dad went to school with their mom and she cares about nothing but her drugs. I asked his brother if he knew sign language and he told me no, no one had taught him.

How did he ask if he could move in with you guys if he can't speak or sign?

Cressida
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM

he kept pointing at himself them pointing or grabbing onto whom he was asking. My brother just asked him questions until he shook his head yes, He asked him a lot of questions and he was shaking his head no. When his brother tried to carry him off he ran and grabbed ahold of me and started crying he did not want to leave.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Quoting Cressida:

How did he ask if he could move in with you guys if he can't speak or sign?

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Well its a sad situation, but no uncommon.

CariO.
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Well yeah, I can see why that would bother you!  That is not a safe place for that poor child.  I actually would consider calling CPS and asking for some guidance from them.  That poor child!!!!

Cressida
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I can not imagine at 6 yo not being able to communicate with people in some way, without having to ask 100 questions until you guess right. I cant see how someone could let their 8yo even roam around town by themselves, and be incharge of my other child thats autistic. Their 2 sisters were out 2.

Quoting CariO.:

Well yeah, I can see why that would bother you!  That is not a safe place for that poor child.  I actually would consider calling CPS and asking for some guidance from them.  That poor child!!!!

VeronicaTex
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:27 PM

I don't have a child that is Autistic, but I have one with Down Syndrome-who understands perfectly what is going on around her-plus English and Spanish.

I really believe with all my heart these kids do recognize right from wrong more than the general population thinkthe can.   They-in their innocence- really know how to live. It is obvious he found a way to tell someone he does know right from wrong instinctively and wants to be OUT of the situation he is in and into a safe place.

My girl communicates well with sign language-and is also well supervised-by her parents, teachers, ect.

What my question would also be-how is it that a six year old Autistic child is being supervised by his brother and NOT his mother

I would NOT HESITATE to call Child Protective Services  as long as the mother IS USING DRUGS.  You may remain anonymous and probably would be doing this child a great service!!!!!!  I will be thinking positive thoughts about this situation and thank you for being observant and caring about this little guy.

Mackenzie40
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I don't see how you would know if she's an active drug addict right now or not.  Sounds like maybe there is an issue at home but maybe not , this doesn't seem like enough to really know anything. But if your worried about the boy then call SS and let them know you feel concerned.

The group I call home is 2gether 4change !! The group I "Play" in is TAA ..I hope to see you there !!!   

Cressida
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Can u call with only the name of the mother? i am positive of her first name but im not sure if she has been married or not, if not i know her last name which is her maiden name. I do not know where they live now and i live in a different state almost 7 hours away from them.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I don't have a child that is Autistic, but I have one with Down Syndrome-who understands perfectly what is going on around her-plus English and Spanish.

I really believe with all my heart these kids do recognize right from wrong more than the general population thinkthe can.   They-in their innocence- really know how to live. It is obvious he found a way to tell someone he does know right from wrong instinctively and wants to be OUT of the situation he is in and into a safe place.

My girl communicates well with sign language-and is also well supervised-by her parents, teachers, ect.

What my question would also be-how is it that a six year old Autistic child is being supervised by his brother and NOT his mother

I would NOT HESITATE to call Child Protective Services  as long as the mother IS USING DRUGS.  You may remain anonymous and probably would be doing this child a great service!!!!!!  I will be thinking positive thoughts about this situation and thank you for being observant and caring about this little guy.

Cressida
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Well she was when my brother was babysitting her children last year before he joined the army. Not much changes in the small town im from, everyone knows when everyone else takes a crap. Its just a really small town and everyone knows everyones business.

Quoting Mackenzie40:

I don't see how you would know if she's an active drug addict right now or not.  Sounds like maybe there is an issue at home but maybe not , this doesn't seem like enough to really know anything. But if your worried about the boy then call SS and let them know you feel concerned.

VeronicaTex
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:57 PM

I see what you're saying being at a distance.  It would be much more effective if a person in the same town report this incident-who was ABSOLUTELY SURE of her drug habit-not just heresay.  In the state of Texas on pain of death a person's identity who reported the incident can NEVER be revealed. A family can be reported, investigated, and have the report removed-when the investigation has determined the family was not at fault. 

Is it possible that someone that lives in her hometown go talk to the mom who would have positive and/or more authority to discuss the matter with her?   These matters can be touchy-especially if the parent is NOT at fault.  I would be VERY sure before I'd report it-but maybe the MHMR of the town might have a solution as to how to solve the problem.

I still would be very concerned that ANY child of age 6-autistic or not is running around without supervision.  That alone for me would be reason for concern.  But always wise to investigate and think before taking action.  Good luck!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)