Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Re-homing" fee???

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:45 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a cat that I am going to adopt out, he is a 7 year old full blooded Maine Coon, and I think I have found a potential home. But looking through ads, I keep seeing "In order to make sure I find a good home for him, I am asking a re-homing fee of...". Now hes neutered and will only be a pet, and I am not interested in making any money, but is there logic in the re-homing fee? Im just wondering if this is something I SHOULD be asking for, or if its just another excuse to get a few bucks. I just want him to go to a good home!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slayerslegacy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM

They suggest charging one to be sure that the potential owner is serious and the animal won't be going to research, to be used as bait in dog fights, etc.

samthecat001
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM

if its not a rescue org then there is only two reasons for them doing this
A.  to week out people who arent willing to pay.. meaning they arent really all that interested (like a person who really wants a dog and will dedicate themselves to it WILL be willing to find the RIGHT dog and be patient and pay for it)
or
B. they just wanna make money lol

if these fit you then make that clear in the ad

"Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."  Justins dad

KT9105

Yes, charge at least a little bit!  Every animal care professional I've ever spoken with has said it's best to charge something because people who are willing to pay for an animal is less likely to hurt them.

ctfirsttimemom

people do that so someone gets the animal that really wants him... instead of someone looking for something to torture for a few days of "fun".  I know it sounds sick, but there are alot of people like that.  That is always what I have been told is the reasoning.  Hope you find your fur baby a good home! 

MissiHampt

Yes, it's a good idea.  It keeps people from taking animals given away and then selling them to labs and other places like that....it's sad, but it's very common and the people that do that are VERY good at acting like they just want a new pet. 

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

debelly

There is nothing wrong with charging a re homing fee. Atleast you know some freak wont come take your beloved animal to be cruel to him. I would say it would depend Maybe 50$ bucks. It would cost more to go to an animal shelter. They are getting a pet who they dont have to spend money on for neturing, shots ect.

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Its bullcrap and a gimmick people throw away moneyu all the time.

If you want to make sure yoru cat goes to a good home demand and follow up on a vet reference.

Quoting allyson2212:

I have a cat that I am going to adopt out, he is a 7 year old full blooded Maine Coon, and I think I have found a potential home. But looking through ads, I keep seeing "In order to make sure I find a good home for him, I am asking a re-homing fee of...". Now hes neutered and will only be a pet, and I am not interested in making any money, but is there logic in the re-homing fee? Im just wondering if this is something I SHOULD be asking for, or if its just another excuse to get a few bucks. I just want him to go to a good home!

dusky_rose
by Sue on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I think that the theory behind making someone pay money for your cat is that you will find someone that is serious enough to take care of your beloved pet, where if you didn't make them pay they might not be so serious about having a pet, since they can get it for free.

mopargurl
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM

most ppl ask for re-homing fee to re-coup some of the money they have put into an animal they are getting rid of.  me personally i would not ask for such as long as i KNEW the animal was going to a good home, thats whats important. :)

good luck!

allyson2212
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Well, the potential owner that I found is an elderly man. He is bed-ridden most of the time and is looking for a companion. His care-aids would be taking care of Moose, it really doesnt seem like a scam. I would just hate to miss out on a good home because he could get another cat for free out of the paper, KWIM? I dunno, we'll see what happens. I still have to go check out his home, etc. But it makes more sense now about the re-homing fee.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)