Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctors really frustrate me...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

I took my 21 month old daughter in on Friday because she had a temp of 102.9 Thursday night. I finally got it down to 99 early Friday morning. But it went right back up. I took her to the doctor and she had a 102.7 temp there. She's had this horrible cough that literally rips my heart out. She just lays around and doesnt want to eat. The doctor did a swab of her throat to check for the flu, which is weird to me, because I have had the flu several times and never once had my throat swabbed. I'm starting to get worried. She still has a fever and a cough. She still won't eat much.

The doctor never even called me with the lab test results like she said she would. I called back and got the typical "We will have her return your call ASAP because only a Dr or a nurse can give you the results" I asked for either a dr or a nurse and they just kept telling me that my doc will call me back. Sorry, I really needed to vent. I have no idea whats going on with my baby and it sucks. I wish I could take it all for her. =(  We've been in the house since Thursday and haven't left. I want her to get better, but I think we're starting to go a little stir crazy.

Is it normal for them to swab her throat for the flu? What else could be wrong with her?

Sorry, its kinda long. I feel better now that I vented a little. lol. =)

Proud Wife to my MARINE Jeremy. Proud Mama to one Stinky Rotten Beautiful Precious Princess, Ashlyn. Love my life :)

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
EsmeVincent
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM

I'm sure the swab was to test for H1N1 and it takes them a little bit to get the results....but if they haven't called you back then I'm sure its not H1N1.  I would just keep making sure her temp doesn't get too high and make sure she drinks enough fluids and gets some rest.  Just be glad that they did test for H1N1 cause it sounds like most drs aren't.  And really its standard protocol for the people who answer the phone to say that cause of the HIPPA law they can't tell you...and most of the time they won't tell you lab results over the phone for that reason.

I hope she feels better soon

I know ALL moms think their children are perfect and some may say mine is abnormal but I would rather my child be abnormal if YOU are what you call NORMAL

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM

There is a rapid swab test for the flu but it isn't all that accurate.  Plus it won't tell for sure she has H1N1.  It may come back as positive for influenza and most likely they will tell you it's H1N1 but unless they send it off to the CDC to get tested, then you won't ever know if it's seasonal flu or H1N1.  Not that it matters, you treat both the same.

preemiemommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM

sounds like what my son had. he had the fever and what not and that horrible cough.  it sucks.  i ended up taking him to the er cuz he has had pneumonia before and has had some breathing problems with it.  they gave him zythromax and i gave him tylenol for fever and robitussin (asked pharmacist for dosage, 3/4 tsp for him at almost 3 years old)

that was a week ago, he is still coughing a little, not NEARLY as bad.  fever finally went away for good after 5 days, and he still isn't eating much.

they did swab his nose in the ER to test for flu and it was negative. 

My eggo is preggo!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
mitty18
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM

I dunno about that. When they tested my son for the flu they always use a swab up the nose, but when they check for strep they use the one in the throat, maybe they have one out htey use in the throat, i dunno. Just keep her temp. down and give lots of TLC.
HOpe she feels better! My son is sick right now also. He has an Upper Respiratory infection and having some issues with one of his ear tubes, so we have a pitiful baby boy on our hands also.

preemiemommy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM

we got our result for aiden in less than half hour

Quoting EsmeVincent:

I'm sure the swab was to test for H1N1 and it takes them a little bit to get the results....but if they haven't called you back then I'm sure its not H1N1.  I would just keep making sure her temp doesn't get too high and make sure she drinks enough fluids and gets some rest.  Just be glad that they did test for H1N1 cause it sounds like most drs aren't.  And really its standard protocol for the people who answer the phone to say that cause of the HIPPA law they can't tell you...and most of the time they won't tell you lab results over the phone for that reason.

I hope she feels better soon

My eggo is preggo!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)