Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Childbirth PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am pregnant with my second child (22 weeks). I am seriously considering natural childbirth this time around. I didn't have a bad experience with my first child (I had an epidural with my son), in fact everything went fine with him. I got the epidural at 5 cm, and ended up having him about 5 hours after. I just had to push maybe 3 times for him to come out. He was a big baby...an ounce shy of 9 pounds. I tore the tiniest bit (enough for one stitch). So what I am curious about, if you have given birth naturally, what are some things you did before hand to educate yourself? Are there any online sources, or books that you read that were very helpful? I really have NO idea where to start for reasearch on this. But, I really want to know people's experience with natural childbirth. If you want to share your story of natural childbirth that would be great. If you can remember certain things that were just invaluable to you, I would love to know what they were. Maybe something you did throughout your pregnancy to prepare, or you did while in labor that helped. Something I would love to hear about is, what pain management techniques did you use? Did your SO play a big role? Did you give birth at home, birthing center, or hospital? How long did you wait to go to the hospital/birthing center? Thanks for the help ladies, I am very seriously considering this, and really just need info and support from women who have been there (or even women who are planning on going natural).

baby

CafeMom Tickers

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zgirls009
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Join the natural pregnancy and child birth group on here.  Such a great resource.

I had planned a natural birth but ended up in the hospital.  :)

I had PROM, but waited 18 hrs to contact the birth center as nothing was wrong.

However, having a support system (your SO, a doula, mom anyone) is the biggest thing.  You have to have someone willing to go to bat for you when you're crazy in labor. 

Army_Wife41
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Thank you. I will look for the group. I know my DH will do whatever I tell him too. lol. With our first, he was very good about being there...but not being annoying. He was jsut teh right amount of quiet and supportive.

Quoting zgirls009:

Join the natural pregnancy and child birth group on here.  Such a great resource.

I had planned a natural birth but ended up in the hospital.  :)

I had PROM, but waited 18 hrs to contact the birth center as nothing was wrong.

However, having a support system (your SO, a doula, mom anyone) is the biggest thing.  You have to have someone willing to go to bat for you when you're crazy in labor. 

baby

CafeMom Tickers

DebraGraham27
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I've given birth 6 times, an All mine were natural, no pain meds at all...!

So really I wouldnt know any diffrent!

Army_Wife41
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM

That's wonderful. :-)

Are there certain things you do during labor, or before labor that help you? Or do you jsut wing it? lol

Quoting DebraGraham27:

I've given birth 6 times, an All mine were natural, no pain meds at all...!

So really I wouldnt know any diffrent!

baby

CafeMom Tickers

zgirls009
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM

If he's supportive, I'd suggest Bradley Method classes.  I LOVED mine and we learned so much.  It is a 12 week class, and I got in it early, about 25 weeks so I had plenty of time to finish it before I was due.

Just read a LOT on uneccessary interventions (epidurals, inductions, IVs, VE's etc).  There are many books out there you can get on amazon for under $5.00 that are great. 

But start with the natural childbirth group.  It's great and they're good at getting back about any questions fairly quick.

KmaRie052008

With my first baby i did natural birth!! I didn't go to the hospital to the morning after i started getting pains in my belly! I honesly didn't want to be in labor for like ever! It took me 3 hours to have my baby with no meds!! The doc actually told me to go home that there was no way i was having the baby yet. But gosh was she wrong! I am pregnant again & i am thinking about getting a c-section!! OR if i cant then ill prob get meds this time around only because i just didn't like how i felt the whole after process!! It was painful! The labor it self was pretty painful to but it wasn't as bad as i thought it was! Of course it was my first time and i was only 20 so i was very scared!! My hubby helped me alot by  holding my hand and rubbing my head and my mom also helped me even my sister too!! I was very mean tho.. i kicked and yelled -Not sure why but it helped me thru the pain!! I mainly got mad at my hubby But i heard thats normal!! Tho i felt so bad after!! Not really sure if any of that helped you in any way at all!! Sorry if it didn't!!

We might not have it all together,

but together we have it all

motherof2boys24

Sorry, I can not help you but these ladies have good ideas. I HAD to have epidural the pain was REALLY BAD for me and I was induced both times. I had history of having big babies and all most had to have a c section both times. I tore both times. They both had broad shoulders. So, I cant be of any help.

mnmsmom2008
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM

My natural childbirth was actually less painful than my pitocin/epidural birth but I had a lot of complications, a long labor/pushing and the epidural wore off after maybe 2 hours.  My natural birth was quick and easy and I felt so good afterwards (ready to go home actually) and my youngest was so different than her sister, so alert and happy and ready to nurse.  There were of course more factors than JUST the epidural vs. natural though between my two births.  If I have any more they will definitely be natural.  My biggest piece of advice is don't let the doctors start pushing things on you like breaking the bag of water too early, pitocin, stuff like that UNLESS it's absolutely medically needed.  Once they started doing all those things my first labor spiralled out of control.

Morgiesmom83
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I had a dd by natural childbirth. Really wasn't my choice, I got to the hospital and they could see the top of her head. lol. I was only in labor 4 and half hours. I just kept taking deep breaths and  yelled a little.I was all by myself, nobody had a chance to get to my apartment before I felt like I needed to go to the hospital. Thank god I lived across the street from a fire house.

I barely tore, I had 2 stitches and I felt those more then giving birth. I think if I have another baby I would do it naturally again. I would also love to go to a birthing center or have a midwife and do it at home.

Army_Wife41
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:48 PM

My water broke on it's own with my son, so I was lucky. I am hoping it will happen that way with this baby as well. I will be giving birth at an Army hospital, so I know that I will have to fight off some unwanted intervention of my midwife is not the one on call that day. That is fine, my husband will be the sane one there, and he will back me up.

I don't even know why I got this urge to do this. But I just started thinking about it a couple of weeks ago, and can't shake it. So I am definitely going to try for it. Thank you for your reply, I hope I am able to have an easy natural birth like you did :-)

Quoting mnmsmom2008:

My natural childbirth was actually less painful than my pitocin/epidural birth but I had a lot of complications, a long labor/pushing and the epidural wore off after maybe 2 hours.  My natural birth was quick and easy and I felt so good afterwards (ready to go home actually) and my youngest was so different than her sister, so alert and happy and ready to nurse.  There were of course more factors than JUST the epidural vs. natural though between my two births.  If I have any more they will definitely be natural.  My biggest piece of advice is don't let the doctors start pushing things on you like breaking the bag of water too early, pitocin, stuff like that UNLESS it's absolutely medically needed.  Once they started doing all those things my first labor spiralled out of control.

baby

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)