Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Ways to Help a Depressed Friend?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM
  • 3 Replies

Does anyone have any ideas?   Other than being there to listen when he wants to talk....i just wish i could wave a wand and "make it all better"....things are rough for him right now... he hasn't been working for over a year and i'm sure that has a lot to do with it.    He just seems so sad and hopeless.   Not the happy go lucky guy i've always known.    I'm not really sure how to respond to him sometimes.   He talks as tho things are not going to get any better and he thinks he "deserves" to live this way.  

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
adrianasmommy07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Listen when he wants to talk. Call even when he hasnt called you in ages. Invite him out to do things even when he always turns you down. Just be there.

Leener3
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:02 PM

I am sorry you are dealing with this.  We have been through ups and downs with our daughter suffering from depression starting when she was 13. For a mother it is heartbreaking to see your once vivacious child, sad all the time. 

We found our daughter a psychiatrist and made the decision that meds and weekly counseling were needed. If you ask our daughter to name two people who she could count on no matter what, I am 1000% positive her answer would be "my mom & dad". So, we must have helped in some way but in all honesty it was all trial and error. We told her we loved her many times a day, supported any interests she had, worked my schedule to fit her counseling (in 6 years I only missed attending 2 appointments and my husband attended both of those) I needed to show her (even after she got her drivers license) that her well being was the most important thing to us.  

My advice Be there for him, listen to him, but also let him know that you are not a professional and maybe he needs more help than you can give. It's not easy, but try to get him to go. Good luck.

maciymommieof3
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM

the holidays "suck".....when your depressed..stay close to him.,...make him feel "needed" and "wanted".....

just stay close...b/c when you don't...thats when they are at their most "vunerbal" stage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)