Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spin off the locking your kids door post...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM
  • 22 Replies

what if your doing it for there saftly?? such as, the child/toddler has learned 'mommy and daddy are asleep at night, i can have full run of the house' type of thing...

i ask, cause my friends toddler has learned to do this... she has tried everything, she even stayed up all night one night, and cought him getting into the kitch at 2 am, climbing on the stove, to reach the candy cabnit.....

she asked me what to do, i told her i had no idea, as im kinda there also...  she locked the door so that he cant get out at night anymore.....

she still gets up at 6 am when her toddler does.... she does not do it during the day, only at night to keep him safe(he can turn on the stov, and such).....

i can understand why most people in that thread were like 'omg, how could someone do that' and i get it... but what about if its just for child safty.... and just at nbight... and they do not use it to sleep in, or anything like that.... if they still get up with there child???

as of may

treadmilljumping ropescrapbooking

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyziegler
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM

my mother said she used to lock my older brothers door because he would get out of his room and go in the kitchen and play with the knives! So she put a lock on the outside and that fixed the problem!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                   stork

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

college.mom0f2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I lock my children's door, and I dont care what anyone says.

My daughter woke up at 3 AM one morning and turned my stove on, I am just lucky my husband had cleaned it off the night before.

Haute_Mama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Did they ever think to lock the doors to the food instead of the childs room or to child proof the stove knobs and drawers... Really...come on...

alishabear0808
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I have a friend that works for CPS and asked her what I should do because my kids would get out and terrorize my house between 1-3am she told me to get the window alarms from the dollar store and put them on the door so when they open the door in the middle of the night it wakes me up.. it worked great and they stopped with in 1-2 days because of the noise it made

college.mom0f2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I would much rather lock my childrens door, there is a door that connect their room to mine which is left unlocked and open.  What I dont understand is why people dont raise their own kids, and let other people raise theirs how they see fit.

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Quoting ariesp19:

what if your doing it for there saftly?? such as, the child/toddler has learned 'mommy and daddy are asleep at night, i can have full run of the house' type of thing...

i ask, cause my friends toddler has learned to do this... she has tried everything, she even stayed up all night one night, and cought him getting into the kitch at 2 am, climbing on the stove, to reach the candy cabnit.....

she asked me what to do, i told her i had no idea, as im kinda there also...  she locked the door so that he cant get out at night anymore.....

she still gets up at 6 am when her toddler does.... she does not do it during the day, only at night to keep him safe(he can turn on the stov, and such).....

i can understand why most people in that thread were like 'omg, how could someone do that' and i get it... but what about if its just for child safty.... and just at nbight... and they do not use it to sleep in, or anything like that.... if they still get up with there child???

Tie a rope around the kids waste and the other end to your toe.

BOOM

instant fix.

Mommy dearest used bed restraints...

allyson2212
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM

We had the same problem with the wondering toddler. What we did was put a baby gate backwards and upside down so they couldnt get to it. If they started to climb over it, put another one up! We never had that problem though. Lol, I know it seems like a pain, but I couldnt stand it if I had their doors closed when they are asleep unless I had sense and sight monitors in their rooms. I have to be able to hear them if they need me, Im a SUPER light sleeper!

ariesp19
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Quoting alishabear0808:

I have a friend that works for CPS and asked her what I should do because my kids would get out and terrorize my house between 1-3am she told me to get the window alarms from the dollar store and put them on the door so when they open the door in the middle of the night it wakes me up.. it worked great and they stopped with in 1-2 days because of the noise it made

i told her to try the alrams, cause i  have had success with them... till recently..... for whatever reason, the last 3 alarms have only worked once, then stopped working..... and they were not the dollor store, i got them at freadys before we moved.....

btw, the cps working i asked, said as long as she does not use it during the day, it would be 'over looked' cause she would be doing it for the child safty

as of may

ariesp19
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Quoting college.mom0f2:

I would much rather lock my childrens door, there is a door that connect their room to mine which is left unlocked and open.  What I dont understand is why people dont raise their own kids, and let other people raise theirs how they see fit.

i know, right???

i told my friend the same thing my sister told me... do wha tyou have to to keep your kids safe... if that means the door gets locked at night, then do it....

i dont know about her son, but mine can get passed most child proffing i do... baby gates, cubord locks, the nob locks.... and sence we rent, we cant padlock all the cubords, and fridge...

i still dont know what to do for me... not sure about the locking, but at the same time, im terrified ill wake up to the stove on, or them playing with knifes(my friends kids played with sizors), or out the frount door

as of may

vegepunkstr
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I put the baby safety door handle covers on the inside of my kids doors until they learn to stay in their room all night and I dont care what anyone thinks about it because it works for us. My kids doors are right across the hall from ours and Im a light sleeper. I dont see it being any different than when your child is in their crib. If there is a fire or something in that case your kids wouldnt be able to get out by themselves either so really what is the difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)