Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom's who use Q-tips.....

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have heard that it is bad to use them period, on anyone, is this true? I use them on my son sometimes....but I wonder if it's ok? If I don't i notice he gets alot of wax in his ears......help! Thanks! Oh, and he's 10 months old...

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CVislosky
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I have never heard that it's bad. I know you aren't suppose to shove them way back in the ear tho.  

nursetina
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Ear wax actually acts like a protectant, it traps germs and keeps them from entering the inner ear and causing infections. But if I see some I remove it, I don't like the way it looks. Despite its use it does look gross.

funny-1.gif Beautiful/Bitchy image by Talitha211
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Alot of people put them too far into the ears.  They do have baby qtips that get bigger towards the end so they cant go very far in ear.  I use them on DD all the time.

CafeMom Tickers
MelonballBounce
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM

You're not supposed to stick them in the ears. I use them to clean the outside of my daughter's ears and just on the very outside of the ear-hole, trying not to insert it too much b/c I don't want to damage her ears.

cmb121906

Q-tips are in fact bad for you. Ya, it gets a little out, but it pushes all the ear wax into the canal. I sometimes pour a cap full of peroxide in my ears and let it sit for like a minute. It eats away at the wax

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

EeeesMom

thats all ive ever heard too...just bcareful to not go too deep.  everything is like that these days supposedly baby powder causes cancer too....its crazy!

Quoting CVislosky:

I have never heard that it's bad. I know you aren't suppose to shove them way back in the ear tho.  

ready_for2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM

its really dangerous bc if you slipped or if the baby moved quickly then you could bust the eardrum with the q-tip. i just wash whatever i can without actually putting anything INSIDE the ear canal. i just use a cotton ball on the outside and behind his ears.....

FutureSoccerM0m
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I use peroxide too. I put 1-3 drops a night.  My son has built up wax and the pediatrician told me to do this.  It actually helps a lot.

Quoting cmb121906:

Q-tips are in fact bad for you. Ya, it gets a little out, but it pushes all the ear wax into the canal. I sometimes pour a cap full of peroxide in my ears and let it sit for like a minute. It eats away at the wax

elly25
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I've never herd of them being bad for you at all.Just don't stick them all the way inside you ear.I clean my ears and my children's ears with them.We;re fine.We can all hear just fine too (well my daughter was born with mild hearing loss in one ear,but other then that just fine).Heck!My grandpa used to clean his ears with the end of one of his car keys.Then,while doing this,look at me and say,"Don't ever do this.It's bad for you."

owls

AngelicaRenee
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Yeah, I've heard you aren't supposed to insert them into the ear canal. with my son i hold onto the q-tip so that it can't go into his ear cause my fingers are stopping it. I just clean out his ears if it starts to come out of the ear canal where I can see it.

Quoting CVislosky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)