Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do yours and should children..

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:43 PM
  • 35 Replies

Do your kids and should kids be taught that when addressing adults they need say   Ma'am and Sir ? I hear a lot of kids who seem confused as to what to say , so I thought I would ask. For example , my daughters friends sometimes say "Kait's mom can we..." and such. Or they sorta stammer until I ask if they need something .

The group I call home is 2gether 4change !! The group I "Play" in is TAA ..I hope to see you there !!!   

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
samthecat001
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM

not ma'am and sir..
BUT.. my youngest addresses all adult women other than family by Miss __(first name)

my daughter is older and so she goes by how they introduce themselves to her and what her friends say.  I prefer to be called Mrs. _ (last initial)

"Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."  Justins dad

ready_for2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM

i never used ma'am as a kid, and have never heard any other kids say it either. isnt that like 1800s or something??

highbridgemom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM

My boys are taught to say M'am or Sir...unless they have been told to call the person by a specific name.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Nah, my kid is pretty polite and that Ma'am and Sir thing irks me.  She says, "Excuse me.", before speaking when other adults have been talking and I have no problem (nor do any of the adults I know) with her addressing adults by their first name, if they've provided it.

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong. - Bill Maher
cmb121906
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I don't make my kids address anyone as ma'am & sir. I guess depending on where you are raised and how you feel about it.

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

Krissy21
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:48 PM

My son does that too.

Quoting samthecat001:

not ma'am and sir..
BUT.. my youngest addresses all adult women other than family by Miss __(first name)

my daughter is older and so she goes by how they introduce themselves to her and what her friends say.  I prefer to be called Mrs. _ (last initial)

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM

they call them Mr. or Mrs./Miss and the first or last name, depending on the intimacy level. ie the kids friend's parents are generally first names and teachers, school staff etc are last.

If you love playing on Pogo, join my group http://www.cafemom.com/group/pogoplayersunite

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM

We are teaching our daughter to say ma'am and sir. But we are also teaching her to call adults by their last names.  So many kids lack manners and i do not want my daughter to be one of them.  I think it is one thing when the child knows the adult really well and they have said the child can use the first name.  A girl that lives in our neighborhood actually called me by my first name the other day and i didn't like it.

jgl3g
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM

My kids do periodicly say ot but I do not enforce it.

neyon226
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I live in the South, and Ma'am and Sir are really big here.  I'm from New York and I have not raised my kids to say that.  They address adults as Mr. and Mrs. Lastname.  One thing that really bugs me about the ma'am and sir is the lack of a please and thank you.  If I ask a kid that isn't mine if she wants something, the answer is yes, ma'am.  My children have been threatened with a harsh death if they don't say yes please or no thank you.  I rarely hear please and thank you around here.  Always ma'am and sir.  I know it is a regional thing, but for my children, they'd better say please and thank you.  And call adults by Mr. and Mrs. lastname, unless it is a very close friend and then it is Ms. or Mr. firstname, but that is rare, and only with the permission of the friend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)