Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cars that fit 3 small kids and their gear???

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

i'm looking at buying a new vehicle.  i have a 3 yr old, 1 yr old and one on the way.  we have a giant graco double tandem stroller and the 3 carseats that go w/the kids... any suggestions for cars?  i've tried EVERYTHING and all i'm coming up with is a mini van or a suburban!  nothing else has trunk space!  i'd like to not drive a minivan, but it's looking like our only reasonable option.  any suggestions are welcome!!!  =)

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoastieWifePR
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:14 PM

I have a 2006 dodge stratus.  Huge trunk and I have been able to put a booster seat and 2 car seats in the backseat.  ETA I also have a double stroller, a sit and stand deluxe, reasonably huge lol, it fits perfectly and still have space for when I get groceries.

twinmamaof3
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM

We have a Ford Escape, it can hold two infant carriers and a reg car seat, the kids are now all in reg carseats.  it is a tight fit, but we do have room in the trunk, also, you might want to look into the eddie bauer doulble stroller, that is what we have for the twins, it folds as small as a sun stroller.  it is so tiny!  And light!  I hated our graco double stroller. 

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I have a toyota matrix and we are about to have three seat in it. I also have a giant double stroller so we are in the same boat I  am looking at vans now. oh and out kids are the exacy same age how cool!

amommy2a2yrold
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Dodge intrepid and It's huge back seat and trunk could fit 6 dead bodies LOL

EeeesMom
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:21 PM

well we decided we were never gonna rock a minivan, and couldnt afford the gas on an suv...so we went w/a toyota highlander they have 3rd row seating (but w/3 kids you could put em in the second row but there is decent amount of room for a stroller even w/the third row seating up...we love ours and it gets good gas milleage. 

baby

baby
pugmama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM

ALSO:

we currently have a 2003 toyota highlander (before the 3rd row), but can't fit a 3rd carseat in the back seat.  there's only about 9" between the 2 seats now.  so i'm thinking we need something with a 3rd row AND trunk space.  that seems to be the problem.  you get a trunk or a 3rd row... or a suburban.  ;)  oh yes, and we want more kids, so no 5 seaters... we'll just have to trade it in in a few yrs with #4 then.   might as well get a car that'll last us and fit all 6 of us now.  =)

pugmama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:27 PM

Quoting EeeesMom:

well we decided we were never gonna rock a minivan, and couldnt afford the gas on an suv...so we went w/a toyota highlander they have 3rd row seating (but w/3 kids you could put em in the second row but there is decent amount of room for a stroller even w/the third row seating up...we love ours and it gets good gas milleage. 

does it suck getting the kid(s) out of the 3rd row?  does a 2nd row seat remove if you're not using it, to make access easier?  or are the middle seats all stationery?  i LOVE my currently highlander, but heard the new ones are a pain w/accessing the rear seats... maybe it's worth a peek.  =)

Shannonrae742
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I have an Expedition. I have in the second row, a rear facing car seat, a Graco Nautilus and a backless booster for my 6 year old! Even with the third row up (I usually have it down b/c my 6 year old likes to sit by the door), I can still fit a double stroller and tons of groceries behind the third row. The third row is a split bench so you can just put one seat up if you want, or just two or all three...it seats 9 all together, comfortably.

I LOVE my truck. I can fit my three kid, their crap and my dogs in it for a road trip effortlessly with tons of space to spare. I'm going to drive this thing until the wheels fall off :)

ta417
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM

we have a suburban and we love it   we have 4 kids with baby #5 due in april and i think its the best. it seats everyone plus has room for all the kids stuff.not to mention it great for roads trips!

pugmama
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Quoting ta417:

we have a suburban and we love it   we have 4 kids with baby #5 due in april and i think its the best. it seats everyone plus has room for all the kids stuff.not to mention it great for roads trips!

i really like it, but the gas mileage scares me... it's only 4 mpg less than an odyssey (our other front runner) though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)