Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you teach your kids to defend themselves?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM
  • 7 Replies

A while back while at a playground, my daughter (3) was climbing around and some boys her age joined us there with their father.  They started hounding her, getting in her face and being really rough.

I was getting on the playground to go get her and stop it when it happened.  They were much taller than she was, and when one grabbed her hand, she pushed him down and sat on him and told him, "you be nice to me," before getting up and leaving the little boy there.  He started to cry.

I started panicking of course, thinking oh God, Natalie's beating up boys, but the father approached me.  He was laughing.  He told me whatever she did his boys deserved it because they were always testing boundaries and it was about time they got a taste of their own medicine from another child, instead of an adult.

I didn't even teach her this - pretty sure she learned it from her father, but looking back I'm able to laugh at it.  What would you have had your child do in this situation?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:00 AM

LOL  that is too funny.  So cute and good for her.  Yes, I want my daughter to know how to stand up for herself.  It's important to learn not to be pushed around. I'm even thining of taking her to tae kwon do lessons and I want to go too.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:01 AM

My little boy knows not to hit first but he damn well better stick up for himself and finish the fight!(thats how I was raised and I will do the same with him) He just is great about waiting his turn though so only 1 incident so far and even the other mother came up and said that she wasn't mad her little boy deserved it! and she made him apoligize to both my son and me

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:04 AM

My 4 year old is an orange belt in Shudo-Kan karate... I was already prepared for this when we started 6 months ago. I think children, especially in today's society, need to know how to protect themselves. Kudo's to her for sticking up for herself!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:05 AM

My sons would've probably done the same and I hope my little girl defends herself too. I'm sorry but no one will tease my kids and get away with it.

by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:06 AM

The phrase "an eye for an eye", Hebrew: עין תחת עין, ayin tahat ayin, is a quotation from several passages of the Bible (Leviticus 24:19–21, Exodus 21:22–25, and Deuteronomy 19:21) in which a person who has injured the eye of another is instructed to give his or her own eye in compensation. At the root of this principle is that one of the purposes of the law is to provide equitable retribution for an offended party. It defined and restricted the extent of retribution in the laws of the Old Testament.

bisexual-1.gif BISEXUAL image by CrzyNWntNLuvcb43c1044905937f3653fecd238a1a7f149.jpg funny image by nightmare_014image006.jpg funny buttons image by kiheller001fc73503073ee28f47339b0e0988fcc6a68a.jpg funny image by Gold_Eyed_Cullen_Girl  bob.jpg bob steals cookie icon image by Dare_2_Dream_4ever RENANDSTIMPY-2.gif 2 dancing fools image by cunnbr 

sexygirls.jpg bisexual image by emily1111

by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:10 AM

my son knows how to fight.. we fight just about everyday. i want to get him in boxing, but he's 4.. so yea.. plus with a kidney disease (cysts on them)... it wouldnt be pretty. but yea- we fight. i smack him (just light taps-- you cant throw a punch if you cant take a punch.. cant win a fight, if you arent willing to get hit, cuz you'll be too worried about the pain of it), he punches me. he's got a good punch on him too.. but right now, since he's so young, we have a designated fighting area. i dont want him to randomly punch people and give them black eyes.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:12 AM

i do but not until my daughter got bullied in school and no matter what i did  no one really did anything. after three years of the same child bullying her she defended herself. the other child took the ball my DD was playing with and hit her in the face so my DD slapped her so hard it stung her hand (her words not mine). i may get bashed for this but i was happy she finally stood up for herself and the other child leaves her alone now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)