Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

when will you take your turkey out of your freezer?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM
  • 11 Replies

I plan on taking mine out tomorrow. Its typically not even dethawed fully by thursday so i usually have to soak it in cold water for awhile before i start cooking it.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsmoore02
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:43 AM

We're doing turkey tamales from scratch this year, so we've already got 1 20lb turkey cooked off and frozen.  The second 15lb turkey is currently taking a bath in my kitchen skin and should be roasting nicely later this evening.

edwardsgirl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Quoting mrsmoore02:

We're doing turkey tamales from scratch this year, so we've already got 1 20lb turkey cooked off and frozen.  The second 15lb turkey is currently taking a bath in my kitchen skin and should be roasting nicely later this evening.

what are turkey tamales?

Tea4Tas
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:50 AM

My turkey isn't even dead yet.  We have one reserved at a farm for picking up on  Wed.

edwardsgirl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

My turkey isn't even dead yet.  We have one reserved at a farm for picking up on  Wed.

lol!

thats kind of cool though. How do you go about doing that?

loves4mama
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I got a 22lbs one (due to company) and I'm taking it out of the freezer tomorrow or sunday haven't really decided yet.

Tea4Tas
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

lol!

It's a small farm in a rural area. He raises turkeys for sale, you tell him what size approx you want, and he slaughters and preps one for you.

He's retired now, but used to have a much larger farm. The turkeys  are all natural, and not caged (other than in a a larger pen)
We get a late pick up because he is a friend of my Dad's. Usually pick ups start on Sat and run till Tues. 

Trisha-Faye
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I put it in a sink of cold water the day before.  I make sure the water covers the bird completely and that the water stays cold.

edwardsgirl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting Tea4Tas:

lol!

It's a small farm in a rural area. He raises turkeys for sale, you tell him what size approx you want, and he slaughters and preps one for you.

He's retired now, but used to have a much larger farm. The turkeys  are all natural, and not caged (other than in a a larger pen)
We get a late pick up because he is a friend of my Dad's. Usually pick ups start on Sat and run till Tues. 

That is pretty cool though. I woulnd't mind doing something like that one year.

mrsmoore02
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:02 AM

It's turkey, masa (corn flour), black beans, cheese, and mole'(pronounced Mole-lay)(kind of a spicy tomato sauce) that's wrapped up in a corn husk and steamed.  Very tasty traditional mexican food.

Quoting edwardsgirl:

Quoting mrsmoore02:

what are turkey tamales?

hfs1998
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Probably tomorrow.  I'll put it in the brine on Weds and then we deep-fry Thurs afternoon which takes about 45 min.

I'm jealous of the PP with the fresh turkey still walking around.  That must be soooo good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)