Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ANYONE GET BOTH FLU SHOTS AT SOME TIME??????

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

Me and the kids got both yesterday,, the regular flu shot and the H1N1, well both me and my daughter are home sick, fever, chills, dizzy, my son is still sleeping so i will know more soon, but my daughter was up all night crying!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:50 AM

No I didn't. We don;t get the regular flu vaccine, but we did get the H1N1.

I would think you have more chance to show side effects when getting both. You've lowered your immunity to other viruses as well. I would just take it easy for the day...you'll probably be fine tomorrow.

Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM

We didn't get any. I thought it was advised to get it seperately. I hope you feel better.  

Trisha-Faye
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM

we would have, but they didn't have the H1N1 shot available, only the flumist, and we are proscribed from the flumist due to asthma.

Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Quoting Jynnifer292:

We didn't get any. I thought it was advised to get it seperately. I hope you feel better.  

Forget that, not the feel better part. lol I just read that you can get it the same day but should get it in different arms. I don't see how that would make any difference. Have you tried googling to see if there are any other threads online?

Trisha-Faye
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:56 AM

did you have the flumist or the shot?  flumist does have a weak live virus in it, so you could be having a reaction to that. 

Most common adverse reactions (occurring at ≥10% in individuals receiving FluMist and at least 5% greater than in placebo) are runny nose or nasal congestion in recipients of all ages, fever >100°F in children 2-6 years of age, and sore throat in adults

Babe587
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:58 AM

My daughter only got the h1n1 flu shot because the regular flu shot wasn't available, but I have heard that you can get both at the same time.

brittney.jpg Babe587 picture by cariegsmg

edwardsgirl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:59 AM

You can get them both at the same time.

You either

A) were exposed to something prior to getting the vaccine. You do not fully become immune until approximately 2 weeks later.

B) do not have the flu but have a cold instead.

C) having a reaction from the flu mist; if that is what you got. If you got the flu shot; this is very unlikely.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Yes, but i had the injectible form, not the mist. I had no issues other than a sore arm. You could have been exposed to something around the time you got the shots.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM

never heard of flumist, is that up the nose??? and yes, both shots, different arms,,,we are in CANADA,,,, i ALWAYS have a reaction to just the regular shot, i swell up bad, and am sick just for one day then i am fine, but this is the first for the H1n1, but yes i am about to do a google to see more.... i am not down and out but my daughter is not great!  Thanks evryone,,,, just curious who did it like us and how they feel,,,, the doc said,, GET THEM BOTH,, and i do know people who have had H1N1 for 3 weeks and been hospitalized and on oxygen, so they said better to be sick for a day or 2 compared to deathly ill and hospitalized so i am glad we got them and it is taken care of, tho, i heard it does not get into your system for one week, not 2, so i will look into that as well, thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)