Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think it absolutely sucks that some stores are open on Thanksgiving. EDIT

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:23 AM
  • 137 Replies

Most people do celebrate it. Is anyone going to run out to Old Navy to go shopping on Thanksgiving? Oh yeah, I forgot the cranberry sauce and a .....sweater.

shrugging

Okay, I will edit.  First there is NO comparison between someone working in the health or public safety field working on a holiday and someone working as a cashier. Nobody will die if they can't buy clothes or toys. Second, the stores are being greedy. They don't NEED to be open. If they are open, it should only be people that volunteer that should work. So if you don't celebrate or you just don't care about missing it, go for it. If you go shopping on a holiday and need to wait in a long line, tough. I happen to know someone that is working Thanksgiving and is pretty sad about it because her grandmother is getting old and has been sick. She fears that this will be her last one and she will be ringing up toys that people could have bought online or the next day.  I guess my point is that greed is pretty out of hand when people are forced to work in places that don't NEED to be open on days that many want to spend with their family.  I guess people don't generally care what others miss out on when it doesn't effect them.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlbdolphin
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Kmart has HUGE sales so therefore I get everything together and in the oven and then my mom and I take an hour or so and go there- every year this is our tradition. They guys watch Football all day and we shop for a little while... We LOVE it and the sales are AWESOME

Logan Anthony 3/7/05 backpackBrock Allen 10/16/06 toddler boy

gypsydancer7
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM

My dad works at Meijer and has to work on Thanksgiving. They are busy until noon,then they die until 6....then they get really busy. Alot of people start shopping after dinner

BoxerMomma
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM

We have lunch at my MIL's on Thanksgiving and then we go to walmart and get groceries for the next week.  You won't catch me in walmart the few days before or after Thanksgiving and my family has to eat the next week.  It is usually pretty empty when we go.  I hate to say that last year more people caught on and it was a little more crowded.  We may have to start going early that morning or something while the turkey is cooking!

my2girls516
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Sales may be awesome but, how about those people forced to work?

]

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I like the fact that some of the grocery stores are open for part of the day because my my always forgets somethething and needs me to go get it.  But for other type of stores that just wrong.  When i was a kid those stores were not open on Thanksgiving. 

imthatgirl728
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I refuse to step foot in a store on Thanksgiving. I know that I wouldn't want to work, and if more people stopped shopping that day they wouldn;t open.

tha-hawt-mommie

im VERY happy walgreens was open on thanksgiving 2 yrs ago. my son was horribly sick and we only had a little bit of medicine left , so i went there ... felt good to drive on streets where no one was , and not wait in a line at walgreens ... i got him his medicine and a toy lol

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

alwaysyoung

Quoting my2girls516:

mommyziegler
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Yeah it does suck but for the people who don't celebrate it it doesn't suck to them. And some people would like to work on holidays because they get paid time and a half hell some places double.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/drmfreemama   Come join drama free mama's!

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                   stork

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

edwardsgirl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Quoting my2girls516:

Most places don't force them to work.

I think most places actually open it up and ask only those who want to work.

Before my nephew left for the military; he worked for Albertsons and they never forced anyone to work it; they asked for volunteers and people would sign up. Most did it because they got paid extra on the holidays.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)