Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How and why do you get a colesore? Just curious?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:33 AM
  • 13 Replies

Yesterday I started to get these two itty bitty bumps on my bottom lip.  then today I wake up with a colesore where the two little bumps wore.  its not bad, my lip is just a tad bit swollen thats all.  How did I get a colesore?  I have never had one before.  Is there anything I can put of it to help get rid of it?  The only thing I can possible of getting it is that night, (weds night) the air was really dry we had the humidifier on bbut I woke up with really chapped lips.  Could that have caused it?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kk_bella
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus.

You can try supplementing your diet with zinc and lysine, these help speed the healing process.

ajswenson
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Usually a cold sore is your body trying to get rid of a sickness.  You could just be chapped like you were saying.

ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Quoting kk_bella:

You can try supplementing your diet with zinc and lysine, these help speed the healing process.

kk, again I just quote what you say.  :)  

Oh, and don't let the "herpes" thing scare you.   

twinmamaof3
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I will try that.  How do you get that virus?  I know stupid questions so I am sorry!  I dont share drinks, ect.

Quoting kk_bella:

babygav09
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Try using Abreva... it is kind of expensive, but really works! And my husband gets them if he bumps his lip on something (a dog, cabinet, etc)

CafeMom Tickers
ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Herpes is one of the most contractable viruses ever.  Who knows? 

Quoting twinmamaof3:

I will try that.  How do you get that virus?  I know stupid questions so I am sorry!  I dont share drinks, ect.

Quoting kk_bella:

illiana707
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM

They are caused by the herpes simplex 1 virus. So like genital herpes you will always have the virus "dormant" in your system. You usually catch the virus from person to person contact but also you can catch them off of utensil ect that an infected person recently used. You can get over the counter treatment to ease the pain or help shorten the cold sores lifespan.

kk_bella
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Quoting twinmamaof3:

Quoting kk_bella:

Yea, like the other chick said, don't let the word herpes scare you.

Herpes is actually VERY COMMON and it does not necesarily mean that you have an 'std' or something.

Herpes is very easy to catch because it is sooo contagious.

If I have a cold sore this week and next week, I come see you and give you a kiss on cheek, the virus will stay on your face. Then you wipe my kiss off, forget to wash your hands, put your hand to your mouth and voila, you have herpes.

Theoretically, you could get herpes from the grocery store, but more than likely, you shared a close hug or something with someone and that's how you got it.

I have cold sore outbreaks on my ears. Weird, I know. I was a baby and I got a scratch on my ear. My mom had a cold sore and kissed it better and that's how I got it.

exceptalilfish
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:45 AM

80% of people have the virus in their bodies, some people's immune system is strong enough to never let it give them an "outbreak" you could have gotten the virus years and years ago and now something is triggering it. diet changes, having your period, stress, fever, A LOT of things. someone suggested abreva but that stuff is expensive and NEVER worked for me. they now have these patches that you wear over night that actually do help and carmex always got rid of mine faster than anything else. even with abreva i still had it for a good 2 weeks and it cost like 16 dollars for a tube 1/4 the size of a carmex tube.

kk_bella
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM

btw, once you get the virus, you usually have it for life but as long as you're not stressed and you stay healthy, outbreaks should be rare.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)