Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Contimplating on getting my tubes tied or just IUD? Need experienced replies.

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

So I and my husband have been talking about what we are going to do after I deliver our daughter. We have been talking about having a tubal ligation done. I have also been thinking about just getting an IUD. IUD does both things I/we want and need but in a much simplar way. Tubal Ligation does not get rid of my period like I need because I am an extreme psycho when I have my period and I have actually only had it for probably a total of maybe 2 years since I hit puberty at 13.  I am not one for surgery!! It scares the crap out of me!! I had surgery on a double hernia one adult and one infant when I wasn't even a year old. I obviously don't remember it but that was the last time and only time I have had surgery. I am also worried about how the surgery would affect my breastfeeding our daughter especially only at 6 weeks old which is when they would do it. The other thing is I have to go on a contraceptive to get rid of my period on top of the surgery because as people who have had a tubal ligation know it doesn't get rid of your period. So I was thinking of just doing the IUD now because it is I believe inserted right after delivery (not sure don't quote me on that) and then I don't have to worry about anything for 5 or 10 years depending on which IUD I choose. I am asking for those who have had either of these done what their experience is on it and side effects and how they were done to reply so I can get a better idea of which one I want to do. I thank you for you responses!! :D

CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers

pregnantName is Kera! Mommy of 3 beautiful children!! 1 on the way and 2 running around!! Proudly believe in breastfeeding STRONGLY!! Tried cloth diapering not it for me! :( Married to a wonderful man named Josh!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I guess it was easier for me I had a tubial ligation after having my 4th and last child. He was born 2mths early and had to have an emergency c-section and right there is where they did the tieing my tubes. I felt absolutly nothing afterwards with that. of course c-section pain only. It 's been 1yr and 2mths and all has been very well. Yes you do have still have your period, mine are shorter and have some cramping but nothing I can't handle. I've heard stories of woman getting pregnant and having a tubal pregnancy that does scare me but so far all is good. I know I made the right decision and have no regrets what so ever. Having an IUD would also be good so when ever you decide you want to take it out and have another child well its possible. If you know for sure your done having kids that do the tubal ligiation. Just think about it. Good Luck!! 

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I am still breast feeding so i havent had my period yet. idk about that part.

the surgery shouldnt mess up your brestfeeding.   just ask for pain meds that are okay with breast feeding.

i dont have any experience with an IUD.

son.jpg love my son image by PEZMO_23
               pink ribbon   love-my-daughter.png love my daughter image by stephi3403

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I had the Mirena before my 3rd dd and now I have my tubes tied.  The Mirena got rid of my periods after 2 months - but it does not do that with everyone.  I wish I would have gotten the Mirena again so that I would not have any periods, but I didn't want anymore children so a tubal was a better choice this time around.  There is a surgery you can have after a tubal to remove the lining of the uterus.  This is supposed to get rid of your periods - but I am not sure if insurance covers the procedure.  You will also never be able to carry a child in your uterus once this is done.  With my tubal I could still have a reversal or IVF... but not with that surgery.  Since the Mirena is not permanent I would say to start there and see how those 5 years go.  If you really hate it you could have it removed sooner and if you love it you could have one reinserted in 5 years.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:57 AM

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I had the IUD after my son. They can insert it 6 weeks post delivery and can only do it for 5 years here in the u.s. 10 in the uk.  I loved having mine, i didnt know it was even there. However, around maybe a year later. i was sent to the ER with abdominal pain. after a ultrasound they found that it had grown into my muscle and had to remove it. pretty painful but i would do it again, those are rare side affects.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM

There can be a lot of different out comes from having a tubal, and I assum the IUD also.  I have my tubes tied and never had problems breast feeding or had any health problems or issues due to the tubal... but, I have had regrets.  That's not something easy to reverse.  With an IUD you still have the choice to have more children.  I would just do a lot of research and decide what is best for you and your family. 

Be The Change You Wish To See In The World!!!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I had my tubes tied when i was 40.  My periods are the same no problems what so ever.

Sounds like you should try the IUD

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and helping me and my husband make the right decision. Sounds like I'll probably go with the IUD for now and then later if my decision about no children later in life stays the same I am going to just keep the IUD in place. I cannot afford to have our marriage ruined over me having my period. I should be in a mental institute when I have it. lol HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all by the way!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)