Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didn't know this about catholics...

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM
  • 19 Replies

My Dad is Catholic and is in pretty bad shape due to cancer (ive mad tons of posts about it lol sorry) Well I was talking with my Aunt last night and I was telling her that the last time I heard he wanted to be cremated (sp?). Thats when she told me thats what a lot of Catholics do. Thats what they choose when they die is to be cremated.

Why is that? Does anyone know? Sorry if this is a stupid question I am just curious to know why!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brenna
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I have never heard of it being a "Catholic thing."  But it makes sense.  If your soul leaves your body upon death why do we need to preserve the body?

jenzachsam
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:52 AM

I come from a very strict and traditional Catholic family.  I never heard of that one til today.  Mine were all embalmed and buried.  My grandmother's wishes were to actually be burried, on the other hand due to money constraints she was cremated, which were against her wishes.  My mom will have to answer for that one.  I am no longer a practicing Catholic.  My dh is a Pentecostal and so we decided to go Charismatic now.  Less religious debates that way lol!!  Alot of people have their own personal beliefs, mine is to burried not burned same as dh.  To each their own as I say lol!!!

ErikaRobin
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:52 AM

That's a gross generalization.  In my experience (I was raised Catholic) not that many people I'd lost were cremated. 

I do know that if you are cremated and you are Catholic, you cannot scatter your ashes anywhere.  You have to be put in an urn and kept in a mausoleum.  It's something about showing respect for your vessel by keeping it intact. 

That saddened me.  I think I'd like to be cremated but have my ashes scattered somewhere.  I guess it won't matter, since I'll be...you know...DEAD.  :)

Grape bubblegum-loving, late-deafened adult with three hilarious and beautiful little breastfed, extended rear facing, public-school attending girls.  Stop reading now.  I love pizza so much I want to marry it, remember who shot J.R. and where Mork was from.  I mean it, stop reading.  I don't hear voices as much as I hear rounds of applause and take a bow in the middle of a sentence.  I root for the Steelers and the Crimson Tide and I toot for the beans they make me do so.  You're really bad at following directions.  I read lips and know some sign language.  Yes, that one, too.  I'm a homogenized milk drinking, lactose tolerant, recycling, casserole making mom with a special place in my heart for Stephen King and Jim Henson.  I believe in the boogeyman and have danced with the devil in the pale moonlight.  I support polyesbianism, my motto is "the more the merrier".  I believe all people are created equal but some are just more fun to be with.  I have only lived in Iowa and Wisconsin and I love corn and cheese.  I've never tipped a cow more than 15%.  If you've made it this far, you clearly have enough time on your hands to read it again.

destiny29
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM

I am Catholic and there is no set "rule" or law" in our faith about what we decide to do with our bodies after we die. I think a lot of us decide to be cremated because it takes up less space on planet earth. There are some Christians out there that believe we need to "keep our bodies" for when Christ returns. Well, as Catholics, we believe that we are given a better, more perfect "body" in heaven after we die and the one here on earth is left behind because we won't need it. ( I mean worms and bacteria disintegrate it anyway even in the best of coffins and I don't know of any Christians that practice mummification.) But to answer your question, no, there is not a rule or command by the Catholic church to be cremated.

photoqueen240
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Idk why Catholics believe in that. I"m a pentecostal. BUT, I want to be cremated bc I am a afraid of being buried alive. lol

lillypie2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I was actually taught the opposite of that..if you are catholic you are supposed to buried "whole"..not creamated, or if you lose body parts they need to be buried with you..like when my grandfather lost his leg they actually buried his leg where he would be buried when he died so that he would be buried whole.

joceangel
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:55 AM

I'm Catholic and I want to be cremated but why wouldn't you?  Me wanting to be cremated has NOTHING to d with the fact that I'm Catholic  :)  So I would think it's not so much of a "Catholic Thing"  as it is just the way most people want it to be.

lizzie_ann
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Actually, cremation was considered more of a "pagan practice" and it's only been in the last 50 years that you can have a Catholic funeral for your ashes.

peacefulhippie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM

i dont really know why but ima guesse maybe it has to do with the saying ashes to ashes and dust to dust. it probably doesnt make any sense but its all i got

larissacst
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I come from a long line of cradle catholics and no one in my family has done this. I even had the grandma that at 12 am everynight would say a box of prayers and put the dolls up (she belived that the devil could come throughthe dolls at 12 when satan is at his strongest.) Me, i'm donating organs (well if they can use any! lol) and going to science

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)