Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your household guide lines on movies?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:26 AM
  • 34 Replies

What kind of movies for what ages do you let you kids watch.

My kids are allowed to watch almost anything. It is limited to no nudity and mommy and daddys must aprove the movie first. Most people would throw a fit if I told them my kids have watched the resident evil movies. But my kids understand the differance between reality and fiction. They know that what goes on in those movies is fiction and does not happen.

Poeple say  that it will give them night mares but it doesnt b/c they know the differance between real and fake.

What are the rules for your house as far as movies and TV go?

Oh and my kids watch movies on war too. I think that it makes the aware of the issues that our soliders go through to protect the rights of other people.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Christian-Mom79
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:32 AM

No rated R movies in our home, DH and I don't watch them either. Our child watches age appropriate movies, since he is 5, that's mostly cartoons, and a few kids movies!

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM

uhm ... anything minus nudity and ALOT of violence ...

movies w/ violence we watch , just not tons lol ...

my son cried to watch michael myers 1 night ... so i let him , thinkin hed quit after 5 minutes -- well he was yellin at the tv tellin ppl to move hes commin , tellin him not to kill people ... he slept GREAT , asked to watch it at breakfast (i said no!!!!) and wanted to be him for halloween that year ... FYI i was scarrrrred clenching my pillow ... he was at the edge of the bed lovein it!

tv uhm ... anything i guess ... i mean i really cant think of what i dont allow.

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

RheaF
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:34 AM

We dont watch anything rated R in our house. And even some Pg movies. It all depends on the content. No strong language (a cuss word here or there maybe), no nudity or strong sexual inuendo's,that sort of thing. And believe it or not we have found quite alot of good movie's to watch.

Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ.    ~Proclamation, September 23,1995~

SilverStardust
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM

My kids are 7, 5, and 1.  They watch G rated movies.  I don't really look at all of them because I usually watch the movies first.  They do love Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter and I know those are higher in the scale.

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I really dont restrict my kids...there are some movies (blow, and a frew others) that we have are 'mommy & daddy movies only'...but i really dont restrict them too much

mrsmoore02
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM

DS is allowed to watch pretty much any PG movie.  If it seems a little questionable, DH and I will watch it first.  He does like the comic book movies like Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Transformers, and the older Batman movies.  The new Batman movies are too dark and scary for him.  As for tv, he's limited to Disney, Nickelodeon, and some Cartoon Network.

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM

same here ... my son knew what dvds were the ones i watch ... and which ones we could all watch ... i dont restrict much either -- i dont see a point (FOR ME) they could see things at friends houses or something

Quoting missamanda86:

I really dont restrict my kids...there are some movies (blow, and a frew others) that we have are 'mommy & daddy movies only'...but i really dont restrict them too much

*Do you have a 2008/2009 Baby? Love taking pics and videos of them? Join my contest group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/2008-2009-photo-and-video

HaydensMommy007
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:39 AM

right now since she is only 23 months and doesnt really watch a lot of tv to begin with, it is limited to movies such as Veggie Tales.

As she grows older, there will be restrictions, no nudity, no violence, no foul language, etc.

~It only hurts when I'm breathing, my heart only breaks when it's beating, my dreams only die when I'm dreaming. So I hold my breath to forget.~

lillypie2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM

My kids can't handle anything that is blood/horror..like saw and movies like that..they can handle the older movies..they have seen all the poltergeists, jaws, amityville..anything ghost related, but can't handle slasher movies...certain movies I do watch before they are allowed, and they aren't allowed anything with lots of nudity or sex in it. They are 7 and 9

ArmyWifey4907
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM

DS is 2, and really the only movies he will sit long enough to watch are Toy Story 1 & 2 (his favorites lol), Monsters Inc, Shrek, and Horton Hears a Who.  We watch the Toy Story movies pretty much daily, and the rest a few times a week.  He has watched a few "grown up" movies that DH wanted to watch when they were on TV, like the Batman movies, Sleepy Hollow, Edward Scissorhands, and DS actually likes them.  But usually DH and I won't let DS watch anything about a PG rating.

pregnancy calendar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)