Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving is no longer a real holiday

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM
  • 32 Replies

Growing up Thanksgiving used to be about family and being thankful for what you have. I used to have a lot of family around me and do school projects for it and stores used to be closed that day. Also most would focus on Thanksgiving rather then getting decorations and everything ready for Christmas (not including buy presents)

Now people and stores are all about Christmas and totally ignoring Thanksgiving. Houses are getting decorated for Christmas right after Halloween. Big family's are no longer getting together but having an intimate family dinner at home for Thanksgiving. It does not seem to be about being thankfull anymore but what type a food you are going to make. Thanksgiving is being skipped over now. Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Brandi wife to John

Mother to Joshua, Aurora, Jacob, And 3 Angel Babies

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I'm with you on this.  I wish Thanksgiving would get more consideration besides "What are you going to eat on Thanksgiving?" It's a day to truly be thankful for what you have.  I'm thankful for my wonderful family and friends.  I'm thankful that we can share Thanksgiving this year with family.  It's been a while since we've been able to.  I'm also thankful for my unborn child.

turkey dinnerBe thankful for what you have.

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I know! even though most of my family is a pain in the ass, i still want to have everyone get together for the holidays, and that aint happening this year... :-(

bigmommasmomma
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I agree.... but in this household its still celebrated right.

Sweet_Britt
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Quoting bigmommasmomma:

SAAAAAAAAME! Christmas stuff goes up after Thanksgiving. I have a lot to be thankful for this year and we are all celebrating it the RIGHT way : )

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I agree! I will admit we have put up our Christmas Decorations up earlier then normal but it is only because we spending more time at my mom's who lives 2 hours away then our own house recently.  A few weeks ago i was the grocery store and i stopped to look at their garden flags.  They had fall, some Halloween left and Christmas but nothing that made you think Thanksgiving. I was disappointed.  Thanksgiving is still a big holiday in my family.

connietrrll
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I'm not sure where you are from but Thanksgiving is big around here. They have never had many decorations up in the stores. It is celebrated though. We have a big "holiday" parade. First they bring the turkey, then Santa is at the end of the parade. There are several community dinners. They are set up for everyone. Not just people who don't have anyone.

trbl66621
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Quoting bigmommasmomma:

SunshineSmiles
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I agree, but, my family always celebrates Thanksgiving the right way.

excougarmama
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I understand what you are saying. We make sure that Thanksgiving is still Thanksgiving here. We put up no holiday decorations before Dec 1st. At Thanksgiving there are between 60-75 people every year. We all go around and say what we are thankful for. Usually we start this at 11 and eat at 12 or 1230. That's a lot of people being thankful and kids are long winded. LOL

linnet4
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM

at my house we don't celebrate thanksgiving.. Is not a holiday I grow up with. We get to spend time as a family throught out the year and give thanks.. I don't think it should only be done once a year. Plus I refuse to slave over a stove and cook food that is just gonna go to waste. However, I do try to make a good meal (not the traditional turkey dinner), but we just see it as another good dinner night.

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)