Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the value of a toy!

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

well steve and i have had it.  if the kids want to treat their toys like they are sooooo replacable, they can replace them.  i'm tired of finding broken toys or chewed up toys (from the dog) because they didn't want to pick them up.  so starting last night, steve and i are not buying another toy for them. (excluding birthday and christmas).  i'm going to do a chart that tells them the value of a chore. and when they have done that chore to my satisfaction they will get the alotted money.  Brayden has already earned 85cents.  but he has a long way to go to get the toy he has his heart set on.  and he is having a hard time with it.  but all i can say is maybe now they'll understand that toys don't grow on trees!

oh_crap1-1.gif picture by kbbgmom
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
RyansMommie07
by Jessica Lynne on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM

amen sister... wish i could train hubby that was as well

lil_Army_Wife05
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I am with you! I know your feeling. I am tired of picking up or finding toys that are broken. So we did stop buying toys for our kids. They have to work for them now!

Come Christmas this year they both will not be getting to much..They already have so MUCH as it is.

mumma0610
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Great idea!!

Kestrel1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I had to go look at the ages of your kids.

My boys were like that till about 6-7.  Especially when you're transitioning from the mountains of baby/ toddler toys that were bought FOR them, and the drastically smaller pile of toys that they asked for.

My boys didn't give a ratts butt about most of the toddler toys unless we were playing with them in the moment together.

Which was why at about 5yo it all got packed up and donated.  There were just too many and for kids their ages they were boring, insignificant and held no real value as anything more than a pile of plastic.

When we started getting action figures, based upon what they were actually asking for at about 6/7yo and toys that were more specific to their current interests it got better.  Now they get mad at eachother for messing up their stuff.

CCCs
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

that's just it, these are almost brand new toys that are not being taken care of.  things that they JUST got for their birthday.  things that they asked for.  Bryce actually made the comment last night "you can just get me another one."  that was the wake up call for us.  we don't have the money just to throw at toys and they don't understand that.  they will now though.

Quoting Kestrel1:

My boys were like that till about 6-7.  Especially when you're transitioning from the mountains of baby/ toddler toys that were bought FOR them, and the drastically smaller pile of toys that they asked for.

My boys didn't give a ratts butt about most of the toddler toys unless we were playing with them in the moment together.

Which was why at about 5yo it all got packed up and donated.  There were just too many and for kids their ages they were boring, insignificant and held no real value as anything more than a pile of plastic.

When we started getting action figures, based upon what they were actually asking for at about 6/7yo and toys that were more specific to their current interests it got better.  Now they get mad at eachother for messing up their stuff.

Scrapbook at WiddlyTinks.com

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I hear ya!  My girls have very much gotten to the point where it's just a "we can buy another one"  and I made a point to them about three weeks ago and they have been much better.  I explained to my 6 and 4 year old that to buy things we need money, and to get money I have to work .... which they HATE.  They cry when I leave for work, they ask me not to go.  So I told them that every time we have to replace something, that means I have to go to work even more.  That for every time they break a toy, that's one more night that I am not home to put them to bed.  Their eyes bugged out of their sockets.  That's how I showed them, not with putting actual dollar amounts, but attached how important my time is.  I really like the earning money for chores idea too,  my oldest helps out when I ask for it but my husband and I have been talking lately about setting up chores for the girls based on their ages.  I kinda like the "earning" part of it.  Great idea

Quoting CCCs:

that's just it, these are almost brand new toys that are not being taken care of.  things that they JUST got for their birthday.  things that they asked for.  Bryce actually made the comment last night "you can just get me another one."  that was the wake up call for us.  we don't have the money just to throw at toys and they don't understand that.  they will now though.

Quoting Kestrel1:

CCCs
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:54 PM

hmmmm.... idt that that would work with mine. i'm a SAHM and they have accepted the fact that mommy stays home and daddy works.  i'm sure if i was working it would definately have an impact.  lol Bryce is whining at me right now saying it is too much to pick up!  i told him, "that's fine. you don't have to do it but just remember you won't be getting anymore new toys.  So you'd better take care of the ones that you have."

Quoting mommaponch:

I hear ya!  My girls have very much gotten to the point where it's just a "we can buy another one"  and I made a point to them about three weeks ago and they have been much better.  I explained to my 6 and 4 year old that to buy things we need money, and to get money I have to work .... which they HATE.  They cry when I leave for work, they ask me not to go.  So I told them that every time we have to replace something, that means I have to go to work even more.  That for every time they break a toy, that's one more night that I am not home to put them to bed.  Their eyes bugged out of their sockets.  That's how I showed them, not with putting actual dollar amounts, but attached how important my time is.  I really like the earning money for chores idea too,  my oldest helps out when I ask for it but my husband and I have been talking lately about setting up chores for the girls based on their ages.  I kinda like the "earning" part of it.  Great idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)