Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I caught someone stealing today....

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:20 PM
  • 12 Replies

And I don't know what to do but it's not that simple.

I had to take a lil road trip today and I stopped at a local Speedway for gas. Went inside to pay, and when I walked out I was looking at my receipt to make sure I got the $.03 off per gallon for using my Speedy Card. Realized this chick overcharged me. A small amount but still. She charged me for a 32oz fountain drink REFILL. So I went back in. I told her "I'm not sure why you charged me for this" and before she even looked at the receipt she rolled her eyes at me and then opened up the little thing that spits change out and handed me $.75, then said "Oh wait, I still owe you 4 more cents." And handed it to me. That was the exact amount she charged me. Never looked at the receipt.
So. In my mind, she knew what she was doing. That's how a lot of people steal money. Charge diff people little amounts of money. It all adds up. And the fact that she charged me for a fountain drink REFILL. So she wouldn't get caught when they do inventory and count cups.

*Sigh* The reason I'm so perplexed about it is because I don't know this girl's background. She could be some young single mother (she looked MAYBE 20) who's trying to make ends meet. Doesn't make it right AT ALL but I keep thinking that if I call the store and talk to her boss that she will no doubt lose her job. And some companies take crap like that very seriously. They could press charges, she could get jail time, maybe lose her kid if she has one. Okay maybe that's a little overdramatic but not impossible. At the very least she will lose her job and then have no money. What if she does have a kid?? Then the kid suffers. I don't want that kid to suffer because of it's mother's stupidity. The mother might not be able to get another job because of this. Especially right now! (Again, her own fault)

I don't know if I should call or not. What would you do?? I know it's not right and she's just going to keep doing it if someone doesn't stop her. I just feel bad. Damn it.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrybaby89
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I would call and report this because you don't know how many times she has done this before to people who don't notice it... It was 79 cents but she KNOWINGLY did it on purpose and that is not right

OkieGirlKatrina
Going to miss this site. Life has kept me very busy so I have not been on much but I have so many good memories and have made many friends here....
Yesterday at 3:14 PM
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I would call and speak with the manager about it....  He/She needs to made aware of the situation.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Jadegirl1819
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:28 PM

How could she steel though because she would have to count her drawer and match it to what the register says should be in there?  Does that make sense?

superdaughter
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Do the right thing and call the boss! I would. It will snow ball and the lady will do it again! Maybe she will learn a lesson, by getting caught! Maybe her kids will have a better life!

I caught someone stealing at Walmart, before. You better believe I told someone! This lady was stealing the cheap jewerly. She looked like a druggie. She was on her hands and knees on the floor in front of the jewerly display, trying on braclets, necklaces and stuffing them into her huge purse. She also put a bra or 3 in her purse. I had my daughter with me. I found the closest worker and pointed her out. The cops were there in seconds. She had a lot of stuff...She's probably right back on the streets....

How`s my pregnancy doing?
two4one
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:31 PM

A thief is a theif. Call and let the manager know. Who knos how much she has stolen already.

Mom of twins

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

blessedwboysx3
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Wouldn't the store add up the receipts for the day and then count her drawer and realize its short? I know when I worked fast food and in a gas station at the end of your shift both the receipts and the drawer were balanced.

Just thinking out another scenario, maybe she knew the charge because she used to charging this many times in a day for multiple people that do purchase the refills.  Maybe she accidentally hit that charge button on the register because she was having a bad day and not thinking clearly.

I would assume if she was charging people small amounts through out the day, these are logged on the receipts and if she's tipping these charges from the cash register something isn't adding up at the end for the day, especially if she's doing it to multiple people. My bosses counted to the penny (unless maybe her boss isn't so detail oriented.)

Just my thoughts.  Would I call - probably not because this would be how I felt, even though the eye rolling would probably really irk me.

briansmommy7143
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I look at it this way... you say that she MAY be a young, single mother trying to make ends meet. Okay, so what about all of her customers that she is stealing from? Don't you think a lot of them are probably mothers/fathers trying to make ends meet as well. Atleast those people probably have morals. Absolutely bring it to the managers attention. I would not accuse her of stealing, but tell the story as it happened and they will probably start keeping a closer eye on her.

karma.jpg Karma image by Wozny_01

sherrymom933
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:43 PM

the other day i was going inside a old navy store and there was a girl coming out, there was a part of a shirt hanging of her shorts with the tags hanging she got so scared when she new i was looking at her, i told the manager turn out that she goes all the time and stuff her bra and underwear with the new clothes so security can do anything because she does it in the fleeting rooms and there is no cameras in there sucks.

JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I just thought of that actually...but what about the fact that she took money out of the register and handed it to me? She didn't do anything with the receipts on the register...It was like instead of taking it out of the register and putting it in her pocket, she put it into mine....

Quoting blessedwboysx3:

Wouldn't the store add up the receipts for the day and then count her drawer and realize its short? I know when I worked fast food and in a gas station at the end of your shift both the receipts and the drawer were balanced.

Just thinking out another scenario, maybe she knew the charge because she used to charging this many times in a day for multiple people that do purchase the refills.  Maybe she accidentally hit that charge button on the register because she was having a bad day and not thinking clearly.

I would assume if she was charging people small amounts through out the day, these are logged on the receipts and if she's tipping these charges from the cash register something isn't adding up at the end for the day, especially if she's doing it to multiple people. My bosses counted to the penny (unless maybe her boss isn't so detail oriented.)

Just my thoughts.  Would I call - probably not because this would be how I felt, even though the eye rolling would probably really irk me.

single_and_preg
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I dont think she was stealing because that would of made her drawer short if she took the money out, since she actually did ring a refill up.(Even though you didnt purchase one)

The only way she could of been stealing in that situation is if she charged you an additional .79 cents , that wasnt on your reciept. (Like if you didnt see it on the slip, but she verbally said you owed her a higher amount..then she could of pocketed the extra money without her drawer coming up short.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)