Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flea bombing

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

i am so scared to do but my son and i are geting eaten up by those dumb fleas....Any advice on how to do this.....is it okay to have salt on the floor and water?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sophistcatdfury
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM

i just got rid of fleas! those stupid things...god i hate them

go to the store and buy borax. sprinkle it on the carpet and let it set for about an hour and vacuum it up. those fuckers will PERISH.

MissiHampt
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I would use a spray instead of a bomb.  That way you can control where it goes and make sure it gets under everything.  While you are out of the house letting it dry, make sure all the animals go to the groomer for a flea shampoo and then apply Frontline when they are done.  Re-spray the home in 2 weeks, in case and eggs have hatched.  I'm not sure about your salt question...?  Salt isn't a treatment for fleas.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

ilovemyaj
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:00 PM

if these suckers are still here after the fogger bombs im going to try the borox i heard some good things about the borox

Quoting sophistcatdfury:

go to the store and buy borax. sprinkle it on the carpet and let it set for about an hour and vacuum it up. those fuckers will PERISH.

ilovemyaj
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM

i heard salt is because they will eat the salt and fluff up and die. The thing is i dont have animals so im not worried about that

Quoting MissiHampt:

I would use a spray instead of a bomb.  That way you can control where it goes and make sure it gets under everything.  While you are out of the house letting it dry, make sure all the animals go to the groomer for a flea shampoo and then apply Frontline when they are done.  Re-spray the home in 2 weeks, in case and eggs have hatched.  I'm not sure about your salt question...?  Salt isn't a treatment for fleas.

kat247
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:02 PM
I have never used a bomb but I put salt on the floor and it didnt really work that well.But I would take and put a night light on and under it put a small dish of soapy water at night.It works pretty good.I would wake up in the morning and there would be like 20 fleas at a time.Plus when you vaccum change your bag everytime or put the vaccum outside.They will come right back out of the bag.When I started doing that they started going away.But I vaccumed like 3 times a day and put in on the porch then changed the bag once a day.Good luck them little basterds are hell to get rid of.
sophistcatdfury
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:03 PM

i wouldn't waste my time with the foggers, but then again i love vacuuming...holy shit did i actually just say i loved vacuuming? damn.

Quoting ilovemyaj:

if these suckers are still here after the fogger bombs im going to try the borox i heard some good things about the borox

Quoting sophistcatdfury:

kiralyn
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM

i dont know about the salt and water.. but when we first moved into our place our landlord "forgot" there was a flea problem, so we had a toooon of them.

but when i did it, i put all my dd's toys and all the clothes in trash bags and sealed them up. i also sealed our cabinets with duct tape and made sure there wasnt any food, dishes, blankets etc. laying around to be exposed to it. set them off and left for a few hours, then came home and opened all the windows and doors and sat in the car for a while to let it air out.

good luck!

MissiHampt
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Sorry, I think the salt thing is just an old wives tale.  I've been a groomer for 12 years and I keep up with all the "natural" solutions for skin and coat care.....never once heard of using salt.  Fleas drink blood, not some random pile of salt off the floor.

Quoting ilovemyaj:

i heard salt is because they will eat the salt and fluff up and die. The thing is i dont have animals so im not worried about that

Quoting MissiHampt:

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

MissiHampt
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM

To kill the fleas in the vacuum so you don't have to empty it every time, put some of the flea spray on a cotton ball and then suck it up into the vacuum.  As it flies around in there it'll kill all the bugs.

Quoting kat247:

I have never used a bomb but I put salt on the floor and it didnt really work that well.But I would take and put a night light on and under it put a small dish of soapy water at night.It works pretty good.I would wake up in the morning and there would be like 20 fleas at a time.Plus when you vaccum change your bag everytime or put the vaccum outside.They will come right back out of the bag.When I started doing that they started going away.But I vaccumed like 3 times a day and put in on the porch then changed the bag once a day.Good luck them little basterds are hell to get rid of.

shecallsmemom04
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM

yes, the salt thing is true.  i've used that method effectively for several years now.

where are the fleas coming from if you don't have animals?

you can put a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle of water and wash your hair with it.  also make sure you wash all blankets, sheets, towels.  make sure you bag up any stuffed animals, clothes for a few days.

i don't know about the bomb thing.  i have a flea problem regularly, it's a "job perk"...LOL, but i've never used a bomb.  not with kids and animals around.

Quoting ilovemyaj:

Quoting MissiHampt:

if you are one of those overly annoying people, who seem to get offended over every little thing, and like to pull out the "judgemental" card....please, do not quote me.  i don't pay attention to stupid and i do not deal with whiners. 

get yourself a tissue, grow up, and move on.  and have a great day.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)