Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding moms

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

How long did it take for your milk to come in? My daighter was born yesterday and Im kinda freaked out bc nothing has happened yet. The nurse keeps telling me to latch her on every couple of hours anyway to stimulate my production,but I dont know whats going on! With my son the milk was in full affect by the same night and this time,hardly anything.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briansmommy7143
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM

It took a few days for me. Are you atleast getting colostrum? That's all you should be getting for the first few days anyhow....

karma.jpg Karma image by Wozny_01

ciejsgirl
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM

FIRST OF ALL.....CONGRATS!  Second...don't stop latching her on.  This will help the milk come in faster than anything else.  And third, don't give up.  It took SIX DAYS for my milk to come in.  GOOD LUCK!

isra1986
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM

2 days later. Until then it was just colostrum.

Forget-me-not
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Depending on your birth and whether or not she was put immediately to the breast it could be anywhere from 1-4 days, don't freak you have colostrum which is exactly what your daughter needs right now anyway. So put her to the breast and keep her there, no bottles or formula what so ever!.. Good Luck

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

MsPsychotic
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM

It was different each time for me. My first born, it took two days. I woke up in the middle of the night in pain. It felt like my boobs were going to split open. Ugh.

My second, it was about 24hrs and it was more gradual. It didn't hit suddenly like it did with my son.

My third, I started leaking two days before I gave birth! Crazy.

Just do like the nurse suggested. Get her to latch on every two to three hours, or as often as she wants if sooner. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand system. The more the baby demands, the more the body will supply.

audriesmommy
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:02 PM

With my first I had her on Monday and it came in early Saturday morning and with my second I had her Friday and it came in Monday.  The more you put your baby to your breast the better.  Nurse your baby on demand.

Skys_mommy86
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Mine didnt come in until the third day, but your body knows what hers needs!! Just keep on nursing momma!! It will come!!

I love my Skylar Rayne!

lovemymarine306
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:06 PM

don't worry, its different with each baby.  with my first, who i didn't bf, my milk came in a couple of days after birth.  with my second one, the milk came in within hours of giving birth...but i still got engorged a few days later..lol

MammaRed
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM

My midwife told me a little trick to help bring the milk in -- have a beer (full bodied is preferred because it has the highest content of hops and yeast) which is supposedly what activates actual milk production.

Obviously, keep putting your new baby on the breast as often she wants to nurse and do the beer trick immediately following a nursing session (so the alcohol has time to oxidize).  It may be every couple of hours, it may be once every 90 minutes to an hour!  Don't get discouraged!  Good Luck!

Paesana82
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM

My milk came in about 4 days with my son and a little earlier, maybe 3 days with my daughter. Don't worry about it, it's still very early. Just as long as you are feeding on demand, exclusively BF, you should be fine.

Best of luck!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)