Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Army National Guard-Need some help

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

My husband is thinking about joining the National Guard. I know that it's not all gravy but I am just curious as to what to expect. I don't know anyone that has a SO in the Natioanl Guard so I don't know where else to turn. What should I expect as a wife and mother? What should he expect as a  husband, father, and person joining? Pretty much what are the pros and cons? He was thinking going in full time because the benefits are better or whatever his reasoning is. How does every thing between the National Guard and the Army compare?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
DVS
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:39 PM

bumpI am curious too

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I suggest you join the Military Moms group, you can ask away in there. My DH is Active Duty so there are some things that might be different. Click the link  on the bottom of my siggy =)

joshlor2
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM

pretty much unless he is lucky enough to find an active duty national guard job then the benefits are nothing....you will get army pay and medical coverage when he is in training and ifhe gets activated or deployed but other than that it is really just a weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, alone and the pay for those weekends are crap like 100-200 bucks really it's not all it's cracked up to be. PLUS if there is a national disaster like a hurricane and his unit gets called up he won't get pain till he comes home....that could mean no money coming into the house for a month or more (we learned that the hard way) BUT after playing army for a few years on the weekends my DH found an Active reserve job so we get the same treatment and benefits as active duty soldiers, he just doesn't work on a post

if you have any specific questions or want more info PM me

SuzanneL09
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I just married someone that is in the guard and really the biggest things is that as a wife most of the time you do not see anything different other than some extra cash coming in and suposedly great insurance... we have not swapped yet. You get a weekend to yourself once a month and they are gone for a 2 week drill once a year. Down side... they can be called at anytime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)