Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am confused by this can someone please explain?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM
  • 2 Replies

Is this telling me I am eating too much or too little because it says I ate 633 calories less than my requirement to maintain, but than it also says if I reduce my intake by 500 calories i should lose a pound a week. So Did I eat too much or too little??

Energy Balance Summary for jenniamigo on 11/20/2009

Energy balance is the state in which food energy from the intake of food is equal to the energy or calories expended through physical activity. Energy balance is important to successful weight management. When you take in more food energy than your body needs, you will gain weight. This is a positive energy balance. When you expend more energy or calories than you take in, you will lose weight. This is a negative energy balance. To maintain your energy balance you need to ensure that your Total Food Energy Intake is equal to the Estimated Energy Requirement (EER) calculated for you in the summary table below. The EER is based on your age, gender, weight, and height reported in your personal profile and physical activity level calculated from your physical activity entry. Along with providing you important information about your energy balance status, this table also compares your food energy intake and calories expended from physical activity to the EER.

Caloric Intake and Expenditure Summary

Click directly on the numbers in the table for more detailed information.

Total Food Energy Intake 1797
Percent of Calorie Intake from Estimated Energy Requirement 73%

Estimated Energy Requirement (EER) 2460
Percent of Calories Expended from
Physical Activity
19%

Your reported food energy intake is very much lower than your Estimated Energy Requirement for the day. A reduction of 500 or more calories per day over time will result in regular and perhaps quick weight loss. This is a common initial goal in weight-loss programs.
**If you consume 500 calories less a day than you need, you could lose about 1 pound per week.

-663 kcal

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
nemiller
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:46 PM

there's an almost 700 calorie discrepancy between your intake and EER.  i think that means that if you want to lose weight, you should be eating more than you do now.  if you want to lose weight, you should still consume about 200 calories more per day.  and if you're trying to maintain or even gain weight, you should probably be eating considerably more per day.  at least that's how i interpreted it.  hopefully somebody else understands this better than me.

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Thats kind of what I thought too but I got a little confused. So that means I am on the right track to losing right. Or is my kcal intake so low that it would put me in starvation mode. 200 more is hard to fit in. I am vegan sooo just about everything I eat is low in calories. Maybe more fruit? because I am having trouble getting my 5 servings in as it is.

Quoting nemiller:

there's an almost 700 calorie discrepancy between your intake and EER.  i think that means that if you want to lose weight, you should be eating more than you do now.  if you want to lose weight, you should still consume about 200 calories more per day.  and if you're trying to maintain or even gain weight, you should probably be eating considerably more per day.  at least that's how i interpreted it.  hopefully somebody else understands this better than me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)