Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question regarding genetic diseases.

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have poly cystic kidney diesease.  (we have known since I was 14 years old)  I didnt start having problems until after my twins were orn.  There is also skin cancer, and lung cancer in my family (quite a few people have it o my dads side)  My question I have always wondered is, why isnt there a test out there that can test a person at birth to see if they will have cancer at some point?  OR any other genetic disease?  I dont understand it they can test for these diseases when syptoms start but why cant they test everyone at birth so the person could be more prepared?  The PKD you can get blood work I elieve now to test for it (not sure) I was diagnosed with it thru u/s and ct scan and other symptoms.  But why cant we be tested at birth?  Like the down syndrome testing they do while the baby is in utero, why cant they take a blood sample and test for cancer? 

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gobimom
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:41 PM

First of all there would need to be a genetic marker for the specific illness so they could do the test.  Secondly it would be way to costly to test for every disease out there.  Third what would you do with the info anyway...can't treat the disease until it shows up.  I think we would be asking for trouble to know everything about our genetic make-up and the potential to get a disease much later in life.  On a side note people would be denied for insurance too because they now know they have a pre-existing condition. 

luv2wahm
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I believe because there is so much scientists still don't know about the genetic markers...my husband's uncle, aunt and mother all were diagnosed within a 2-4 year span with ALS...they were all tested and supposedly there is a "genetic marker", yet all three didn't have it...

My son was born with a rare genetic disorder called nonketotic hyperglycinemia...it usually isn't tested for at birth because it is quite rare. When he passed we had the option to have his liver tested to determine what type he had...and we could use those results to determine which type my husband and I carried..and our other children could be tested to see if they were in fact carriers..

As far as genetics, yes they have come a long way, yet there is just so much of the genetic make up that are still a mystery...

Team Santa~

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:24 PM

A lot of things like most cancers have nothing to do with genetics.  Even things that do have a genetic link like breast cancer, it doesn't mean if you have the gene you will develop the disease.  There are many unknowns about certain diseases and genetics.   And really what purpose would it serve if you were told you had a certain gene for a disease?  Would you spend you life worrying when you may develop it?  Or you could never develop that disease and basically your worrying was for nothing.  I think I'd rather not know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)