Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MILS--Love them or hate them?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM
  • 15 Replies

My mother in law and I got along well while my husband and I were dating and when we got married. Then we added babies into the mix and our relationship deteriorated after that. I am constantly feeling like I have to remind her that my children are mine and I am the parent and she needs to respect the choices I make in raising them.  I get the feeling that since she thinks she is Grandma she can do whatever she wants. It can be soo frustratins sometimes. Sinec the birth of my second son it has gotten better and there are definitely boundries now, but sometimes I just want to move far, far away! How is your relationship with your dear MIL?

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommasbabies77
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM
My Mil has passed on. She was my best friend.

meluvja
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:00 PM

My MIL and I haven't kept good terms for longer than a month at a time.  I buy her nice gifts for Christmas or birthdays and she calls it junk.  I try to be nice and she says something to hurt me.  She is constantly whining about how they don't have money, yet she always has something new that she's ordered from a catalog.  I feel for this before, giving her money, and find out later she just scammed me.  She has even gone as fas as lying to try to split me and the hubby up.  I actually did leave him once, because of her. 

He's stood up to her so many times.  Now he just doesn't want to have anything to do with her, but I push him to see her.  I don't want that on my conscience if she died, you know?  Of course, she treats me like gold when she's around him or she needs anything. 

I believe she wants him home.  Out of her 4 sons, 2 lives with her.  As long as she has her sons there, they'll pay her bills.  She has made numerous attempts to get us to move in with them.  She even offered to turn their house into a duplex, but we have always refused.  The one time I left my husband was because we had to stay with his parents for a month and she tortured me.  She'd feed our food to the dogs!  She'd feed my hubby but refused me any.  She even swung a bat at my head, saying she thought I was a robber, when she knew I had to work till 11pm!

So, I do not love nor do I hate her.  She's just my hubby's mother.

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM

....eh....depends on the day

SLGross215
by Sarah on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I absolutely love my MIL.

FotoFlexer_Animation.gif Mine picture by SLGross215

savannahnhi
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM

i hate my MIL with a passion.  she is a bitch.  i won;t miss that bitch when she is gone.

alwaysyoung
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Quoting missamanda86:

....eh....depends on the day

MandyOs
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I love my mother in law. 

AliceV
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM

My MIL was the same way before we had children.  She has three sons and always wanted a daughter, (her youngest is 34 and she is still not over the fact that she never had a girl).  Our first child was a girl.  I went from being the DIL to being treated like the nanny.  I swear she thinks my daughter is hers.  It is a constant battle and has caused problems between my husband and I.  We now have a son and things just seem weird.

CafeMom Tickers
kiwimango27
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I absolutely adore my mother in law. I am someone who is awesome at taking care of other people such as my son and husband, but I suck at taking care of myself, so she always is there to check up on me and make sure Im eating right. I love her to pieces.

Freakbabydoll
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Love my MIL  she calls once a year lives 30mins away and never bothers us!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)