Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heads are going to roll at the Pediatrician's!!! (PIOG)

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM
  • 24 Replies

OK, so today I had to go to my internship and my son had a dr's appointment. I told my mother that it was just a wellness visit and that he's not due for any vaccinations... that I just want a check up and the seasonal flu vaccine. It was his first time going to this new facility but I went there for myself due to some medical issues I've been having and I thought my service was fabulouse, so I assigned my sons PCP to this facility. I told my mother that I did NOT want my son to recieve the H1N1 vaccine because I believe that it's too soon for the vaccine to have been properly tested and that I have heard several stories of young children having reactions to it. Well my mom gets there and hands them his tricare card... and my military spousal ID... THEY ASKED FOR MY HUSBAND'S INFO!!! UMMMMMMMMMMMM HELLO its on the CARD!!! ok.. problem 1 right there because my mother called me asking me for my husband's information. Then my mother being 62 yrs old and knows that my son is only going for a check up... forgets his immunization card. THEY TOLD HER TO GO HOME AND GET IT!!! My mother calls me and I hear the nurse yelling at her to never come to an appointment with out her.. yes YELLING. SO i told my mother, "Tell her to change her tone.. before I go up there!" When my mother told me she was going home to get his immunization card I asked her if they could just note it in the chart and then when he goes back next month for the second part if they can write it then?? They tell her NO. So at this point Im upset.

About an hr later my phone is ringing off the hook... but I couldnt answer it because I was with my intern director. I finally hid away in the back and answered.. the DR was DEMANDING to speak with me because she said my son HAD to get the H1N1 vaccine... this woman didnt even introduce herself to me she just went on a long speech about how the vaccine is safe and if any accounts of negative reactions were true the vaccine would've been recalled. That she has recieved the vaccine and she has given it to hundreds of children with no side effect and that my son NEEDS it. Basically she put my back to the wall that I felt like a horrible mother for not giving it to my son.I tried to talk but she kept interupting me... and I was at my internship so I couldnt yell but she literally was pushing me to the point. SHe then told me that my son has recieved his other vaccinations and never had a reaction.. and that if H1N1 would've arose a few months later it wouldve been incorperated into the seasonal vaccine and then I wouldnt have had a choice if I wanted him to get the H1N1.  Finally I couldnt speak to her anymore and I told her to put my mother on the phone and I told her to do whatever she thought was best. My mother asked for information on the H1N1 vaccine... she read it.. and then agreed to give my son the vaccine...SHe said she only agreed to do it because of how the Dr was being with her! OH im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO talking to an administrator. These people were highly unprofessional and pushy! I worked as the head of administrative support for a physical therapy clinic for 2 years and also an office manager of a medical clinic before I decided to stop working in Sept... they overstepped their bounds with the wrong woman!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDean
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM

OMG that si some bull$%#^! I have forgotten my kids immunization card and my peds office simple gave me a paper that marked what they did and had me bring it back on another visit so they could update the card. ive them hell and then find a new ped. I myself went through 3 docs last eyar and am so happy i finally found the perfect doc and office for my kids:)

nikitaboom
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I am never allowing this Dr. near my son again!!

Quoting MsDean:

OMG that si some bull$%#^! I have forgotten my kids immunization card and my peds office simple gave me a paper that marked what they did and had me bring it back on another visit so they could update the card. ive them hell and then find a new ped. I myself went through 3 docs last eyar and am so happy i finally found the perfect doc and office for my kids:)

twinmamaof3
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:55 PM

That was way out of line!  is the H1N1 really bad where you are?  Here they have already opened the vaccine to everyone, I havent heard anything aout the h1n1 in a while.  gosh since sept.  my kids did get it almost a month ago and they were fine.  I am really really sorry about how they treated youre mom and you, that is not called for you are the paret not the doc.

aviatorswife
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM

did this happen on post?

butterflyblu
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM

That's ridiculous!  NO vaccine is mandatory.  What that doctor told you is complete BS.  And if you don't have your immunization card, it doesn't matter.  Flu shots are not recorded on immunization cards anyway or at least there is no slot for one on my son's.  It will be in his record regardless and the card can be updated later.  My son had his well check up today and was offered the seasonal flu vaccine (they are out of H1N1) and I said no thank you.  I also said no to Hep A.  The doctor was nice about it but kept saying "well you know the CDC recommends this vaccine, blah blah blah, and your son is in a high risk group because of his age, blah blah blah."  Thanks, I said no, I will not repeat myself again.  I've done my research and I am comfortable with my decision not to vaccinate.  I hate pushy doctors!  I would be filing a complaint too!

ANandLPsMom

This is where you call a lawyer. You did not want your son to get the H1N1 vaccine. They can NOT force it on you. You should have told your mother to leave at that point and time and NOT return. What if something DOES happen to your son now? You're going to feel guilty because YOU let them decide.

They can not force you to get any vaccines without you wanting them. You are supposed to be able to say "No". When they start giving you the whole "well this is what.." You say, "No, I've researched this myself, and have decided not to get my son vaccinated." If they still press it on you, you leave. No ifs ands or buts. As the momma you are responsible to look after your childs wellbeing. The dr can make suggestions based on his medical knowledge but when it comes to vaccines it is the MOTHERS choice. You said no, but you let them do it anyways. 

DaisyAg2003

I don't have an immunization card for my youngest two and I have never been denied a vaccine because of it.

Definitely find a different doctor...after rolling some heads first!

ready_for2

i would never go there again!! and i would also never let your mother take your child to the doctor again since she cant stick up for what you want, you specifically said NOT to get your child the vax, and what did she end up doing? she got it, sorry you cant really be mad at the office for that. yeah they were pushy, but no one can FORCE you or your mother to get the shot

mommaboudreaux
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Is there anyone you can report this too?  That is beyond horrible!!!  I'm sooooo sorry!

mommyziegler
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM

The doctors can NEVER tell you that you have to do something. It is your child not theirs!!!! I'd be livid!!!!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/drmfreemama   Come join drama free mama's!

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                   stork

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    #2 due June 2, 2010

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)