Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Double standards in the school

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM
  • 32 Replies

IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED YOU WONT LIKE THIS.

I am sick of the double standards in the damn schools.Everyone is so f#*&ing pc but only to certain peoples. At the high school in my town Muslim students are allowed to leave class to observe prayer times, but prayer is not allowed in school right? If a Christian student tried that they'd be suspended! Muslim girls are allowed to wear the veil, hijab or burka but a Jewish student was forced to remove a yamaka(sp?), and no one else is allowed to wear hats. Colleges around the country have installed foot washing stations but will not allow the words Merry Christmas. One of the boys I mentor was removed from class and forced to talk to a counselor for bringing a dream catcher (he is native American) but the Somali students are not even expected to speak English or stay in class. A senior at our high school was beaten by 40 Somali students for writing a paper about this inequity, he is in the hospital now.

Let me be clear, I am not complaining about the people themselves but about the inequalitus of the system and it's treatment of some peoples.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arlyah
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

I think complaining to the school/school board would be more effective than complaining to a forum for moms.

Just_Bethy
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Sorry but I agree...religious freedom for ALL or NONE!!! 

Drillers Wife, Toughest Job In The Oil Field.

tiggerabba
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I agree with you, but be prepared to be bashed.............

EbonySnow
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Quoting Just_Bethy:

thank you that was my point exactly

foxyloxy
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I completely agree.

We live in a world gone mad.

EbonySnow
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Quoting tiggerabba:

I agree with you, but be prepared to be bashed.............

Oh I know the bashing is coming but had to say it, let them bash me I could care less, my point stands

life is too short for uncertainties.....

ready_for2
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM

ya i agree, its so annoying that people will stand up for this kind of behavior and inequality too, and sometimes even make excuses for it.

Cherish77
by Cherish on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:04 AM

I completely agree with you.  I think we all should be able to follow our religions outside of church, no matter what religion.  Isn't that why so many come to America, so we can be whatever religion we please without being persecuted for it?

EbonySnow
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Quoting ready_for2:

ya i agree, its so annoying that people will stand up for this kind of behavior and inequality too, and sometimes even make excuses for it.

the sad thing is the young man who as beaten may get charged with a "hate crime" for writing the paper

life is too short for uncertainties.....

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Quoting Just_Bethy:

So do I! If one group is given the right then all should, but no one should be forced to pray a certain religion's prayer. This is where it gets sticky. I was given a "fail" grade on my performance in Choir one year because of my "inability" to "play well" in a group. Why? Well, I refused to stand in a circle and ask Jesus and God to give us luck in our upcoming stage performance. I sang just fine during the thing, and we even won second place, but I still failed... along with my three cousins who also stood with me outside of the circle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)