Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Daughter Bit Through Her Tongue

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter (who turned 1 last Saturday) is still pretty wobbly when she walks.  However, she thinks she can run and tries to haul it everywhere!  Today we were at my moms and she fell and screamed.  I picked her up and there was blood, lots of it!  I washed off her mouth and noticed the gash on her tongue.  She did not bite through the tongue, but came close.  I called her pedi's emergency line and the oncall who I do not care for acted like I was the most ignorant mommy and said "don't you know there is NOTHING that can be done"... I really had no idea and felt bad.  However, I am wondering if anything can be done.  It looks so painful!  It stopped bleeding quickly, however when she eats something it will bleed a small amount again.  Thanks!

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allurasmamma
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Is it deep enough for stitches? However might be to late. I would just keep it clean and make sure to have her rinse after every food. Worried it will get infected. I would call the dr. Maybe they have a 24hr. hot line? I feel bad when kids do this. I hope she feels better!

aek.08
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Honestly, the mouth is the fastest healing part of the anatomy. If it bleeds a little it's just because of it being irritated by the food. Don't put orajel on it because it will sting it. My daughter's tripped from wobbling when she first started walking and busted her lip open and I called the dr just to ask what I should do. See if you can get her to suck on a cold wet washcloth if it's swollen. That's about all you can do. Chin up, momma. You're doing fine.

CafeMom Tickers

tracey111005
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Same thing happened to my sister. They could not stitch it. Feed her soft foods. If it starts bleeding badly, put sugar on it-it will stop instantly.

adri_nevarez
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:19 PM

Can you get stitches in the mouth?  My friends daughter bit completely through her lip and they told her stitches were not an option because of how much the mouth moves... they would rip and make the wound worse.  I did call the after hours line and the on call told me there was nothing that could be done.  I don't trust very easily, so I just wanted to see if any moms on here had any experience.  Thanks for the help!

Quoting allurasmamma:

Is it deep enough for stitches? However might be to late. I would just keep it clean and make sure to have her rinse after every food. Worried it will get infected. I would call the dr. Maybe they have a 24hr. hot line? I feel bad when kids do this. I hope she feels better!

pregomamma921
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM

My DD did this once as well but it was her lip. Her teeth went almost all the way through. But because they didn't go all the way through the lip, they couldn't do anything about it. Just don't feed her anything that will sting and it'll get better in a day or too. Good luck Mamma. 

adri_nevarez
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Thanks... thats what DH said about the mouth being able to heal itself so quickly!  I gave her an ice cube and she loved it!  My MIL said it was too cold to be giving her ice (its 53 degrees in Tx) but it seemed to soothe her! 

Quoting aek.08:

Honestly, the mouth is the fastest healing part of the anatomy. If it bleeds a little it's just because of it being irritated by the food. Don't put orajel on it because it will sting it. My daughter's tripped from wobbling when she first started walking and busted her lip open and I called the dr just to ask what I should do. See if you can get her to suck on a cold wet washcloth if it's swollen. That's about all you can do. Chin up, momma. You're doing fine.

iamcafemom83
by Rah-Rah on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

you know what? i hate that, too. im like, im having an emergency, and that is why i am calling you pricks. if i knew what to do, i wouldn't waste my time calling the doctor's! u are being a great mommy by making sure u are doing everything needed.....i might have just gone to the ER, but if it has stopped bleeding, she is ok...but if it continues to bleed, you may need to go in and get her checked out. hope she feels better!

adri_nevarez
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Thanks for the tip... that is great to know!

Quoting tracey111005:

Same thing happened to my sister. They could not stitch it. Feed her soft foods. If it starts bleeding badly, put sugar on it-it will stop instantly.

aek.08
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

You can get stitches in your mouth. But, like any other stitches, they only do it if it's really needed.

Quoting adri_nevarez:

Can you get stitches in the mouth?  My friends daughter bit completely through her lip and they told her stitches were not an option because of how much the mouth moves... they would rip and make the wound worse.  I did call the after hours line and the on call told me there was nothing that could be done.  I don't trust very easily, so I just wanted to see if any moms on here had any experience.  Thanks for the help!

Quoting allurasmamma:

CafeMom Tickers

M0M0F03
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

My daughter did that when she was little. They rarely do anything for a tongue. They heal very easily. Fast too! I know how you feel though. My husband did that to my daughter...playing and threw her on the bed and she bit it. She almost went through it too...they bleed a lot! Don't be surprised if she has a little blood in her stool, if it bled a lot, she probably swallowed some.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN