Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

UPDATE #2. Slipped Disc??? I can't stand or walk. SEVERE BACK PAIN. Help. **UPDATE**

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM
  • 35 Replies

Has anyone had muscle spasms in their back before? Or anything else that would cause them not to be able to stand or walk?

I was sitting in the floor brushing my 2 DD's hair, then when I tried to stand up I felt a very sharp pain in my lower back and hips. I went weak and could hardly stand up at all. I can hardly walk. If I do walk, I have to be bent over. I cannot straighten my back. If I do try to straighten my back, then I literally cannot put my weight on my legs. It's like my hips just give out. What could be wrong with me? I'm home alone with my 3 kids and the little girl I babysit. I cannot go to the doctor today. What do I do?

Update. So today, I'm feeling a little bit better. Still in pain, but I'm actually able to stand up and walk a little bit. I'm beginning to think that it's not a muscle spasm. It kind of feels like my hips sort of popped out of place or something. I took a long hot bath last night, then went to bed. In the middle of the night my hips popped like 3 or 4 times. One time this morning they popped really loudly. It actually felt good when they popped. After they popped this morning I got up to go to the bathroom and I could actually stand up and walk. I was still in pain, but at least I'm walking. I am going to make an appointment with my doctor for next week. I think I may need to see a chiropractor or something. Any one ever have any problems like this before?

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to help with the pain until I can get to the doctor? I'm really hurting here, and I can't seem to get any replies at all. No one else has suffered with back pain ever? Please just bump of something. I need help..

Update #2. Well I went to my doctor today. He put me on a course of steroids. He said if it was any sort of a muscle sprain that the steroids would take care of it. And if the steroids don't help then he is sending me to an orthopaedic doctor for further evaluation. He said it very well could be a slipped disc because of the spinal tenderness I'm having. Does anyone know what they do for a slipped disc??? I'm very nervous now, and I hope the steroids help.

by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fairymom2316
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM

It may be a pinched nerve or something. Although, my mom has gotten this a lot so I should ask her. I think they had to put an injection to relax the muscles.

lilmacmama20
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I get them in my back, you need a muscle relaxer and a anti inflamitory like tylenol. I used to get spams in my leg pretty bad and all I could is lay on my stomach stretched out and hope it would go away. 

SWasson
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM

First, take an anti-inflammatory. Motrin (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen). Try and keep moving, very gently and slowly, to keep it from tightening up more. Call the doctor and make an appt. for tomorrow or tonight, once you are free--you'll need a muscle relaxant. Try and get your hubby to come home early if possible to relieve you.

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Thanks ladies. I will try to make it to the kitchen to the medicine cabinet and take some Motrin. It is even beginning to hurt just sitting down. Does it sound like a muscle spasm? Or could it be something else. I had muscle spasms once in my back when I was a preteen, but I don't remember what it felt like. I just remember I didn't go to school for a day or two and the doctor gave me some kind of meds. I did call DH. He was fishing today, but he said he would head back right now. But he's almost an hour and a half away, so it will be a while. What else can I do for the pain?

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Bump. No one has any other ideas? I've taken Motrin, and I'm waiting for it to start helping (hopefully), and I'm trying to keep moving. I'm kind of standing (bent over), holding onto the computer chair and swaying back and forth. That's about all of the moving I can do. I almost fell over trying to go to the kitchen to get Motrin. =(  I'm babysitting a 6 month old, and right now I can't even pick her up....

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Bump again. No has had this happen to them?

Susan262
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I put ice on it.  20 minutes on 20 minutes off.

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 25, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Bump for update.

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM

No one has ever had this problem before?? I feel so alone... LOL

1busymomma03
by on Nov. 25, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Bumping one last time. I'm really in pain here, and I don't know what to do. I can't get to the doctor until next week sometime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN