Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

omg! please help me! silver cap on tooth came off

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM
  • 14 Replies

my son's cap on his tooth came off tonight. i have NO IDEA what to do. part of the tooth is in the cap and the other part, where they drilled it down is still in his mouth.

i called the dentist, but it just rings. there's no emergency number. we havent eaten dinner yet and i dont want to feed him cuz his teeth will get worse (or what if it gets painful?). its the very back tooth- and he has a cap in front of it (his 2 back teeth on the left side was capped)... so hopefully it cant spread to infect his other teeth. they were really decayed.

i HATE his dentist, but thats the only one that accepts his insurance. when he got the caps- he was screaming and crying. we had to forcefully hold him down and the dentist ended up cutting the sides of his mouth (the inside cheek).. but now we'll have to go through that whole ordeal all over again because of this! grr-- sorry- this was a side vent.

what can i do? is this bad? i have to wait til tomorrow to call them, and HOPEFULLY they will be open since its the day before thanksgiving.

i'm so scared!

by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tazz2
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:49 PM

yikes!  I have no clue, but here's a bump.  I would call his insurance and complain and ask what other dentists are near you.  I'd drive 1/2 hour if i had to

Shy_Dia
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:49 PM

bump

FooLynRoo
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Feed him soft foods, do you know if he's had the tooth root canaled?

And get on the phone asap in the morning.

Quoting Shy_Dia:

my son's cap on his tooth came off tonight. i have NO IDEA what to do. part of the tooth is in the cap and the other part, where they drilled it down is still in his mouth.

i called the dentist, but it just rings. there's no emergency number. we havent eaten dinner yet and i dont want to feed him cuz his teeth will get worse (or what if it gets painful?). its the very back tooth- and he has a cap in front of it (his 2 back teeth on the left side was capped)... so hopefully it cant spread to infect his other teeth. they were really decayed.

i HATE his dentist, but thats the only one that accepts his insurance. when he got the caps- he was screaming and crying. we had to forcefully hold him down and the dentist ended up cutting the sides of his mouth (the inside cheek).. but now we'll have to go through that whole ordeal all over again because of this! grr-- sorry- this was a side vent.

what can i do? is this bad? i have to wait til tomorrow to call them, and HOPEFULLY they will be open since its the day before thanksgiving.

i'm so scared!

Bits08
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM

That doesnt sound too pleasant.  So sorry for your son.  I have no clue what to do though.

Heres a bump for you.

shadyangel42
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:51 PM

call the dentist very first thing in the morning.  Dont give him anything cold to eat or drink, if they put the crown over the prepped tooth, the decay SHOULD have been gone. So dont worry about that.  have him chew on the other side.  The tooth will be sensitive, but should be all.  I used to work in pedo. dental office.  Good luck. :) any questions, just ask!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
BabyMadi
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM

His tooth will be fine if he eats. Keep calling the dentist and get him in asap. As long as he's not complaining about pin hes fine. It's not that big a deal.

marshsmom
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Super Glue!  LOL, just kidding.  I don't think you have to worry about the infection spreading.  When they drilled the tooth to put the cap on it should have removed all the decay.  I'm sure it will be tender for your son and may cause him pain over night.  They sell some toothe ache relief stuff at the pharmacy, there are all types but for this I would get the dough like stuff that you place over the toothe.  I don't remember wht it's called but I used it when a temp filling I had fell out and it worked well.  It tasted a little strange but it wasn't bad (tasted like cloves).  Ask the pharmacist about some type of temporary filling.  Good luck!  Hope it doesn't bother him too much until he can get it fixed!

raegansmom
by Cyndi on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Save the cap & only let him eat soft foods.  The should just have to recement it, not nearly as involved as the initial visit of putting them on.  He may be sesative so be careful with hot and cold.   You may want oto give him ibeuprofin, that is what works best for toothache pain.  and of course call the dentist again first thing in the am.  I managed a dental office for about 8 years.

single_and_preg
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM

how long did he have the cap? I have had a few capsm they all came off but thats because i had them for like over 8-10 years. When they came off i didnt really do anything but get a filling or another cap a few weeks later. I wasnt in any pain or anything.

texassahm
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM

There is something at the drugstore you can buy that bonds caps back on temporarily.  I wish I could remember the name of it, the pharmacist should know.

UPDATE: Here is a link to help you - what you want is dental adhesive

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/OC/Information/OralHealthBasics/EmergenciesInjuries/DentalEmergencies/LostFillingorCrown.cvsp

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN