Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

S/O income tax post: How much do you get back?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:53 AM
  • 93 Replies

How much do you usually get back from your income tax refund?

When the kids were young we could count on $1500 or so every year but now that we have no kids we are lucky to get $300.

I know women who are low income with 2-3 kids and get back $3000-$5000.

by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThatSkyGirl
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

we get around $4k from federal and 2k from state.. but we dont see any of it. DH owes a lot of $$ to the IRS.. soooyeah.  But hopefully they will lower the amount owed bc he owes soo much, so hopefully we will get our income taxes back, someday, not this year tho, lol.

JenB1983
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:58 AM

DH and I have gotten quite a bit back.  When we had no kids(our first tax return together) we still got $2,000 back.  After our first we got a $4k tax return.  The next year was AWESOME; because DH was deployed for 9 months out of the year....so that income wasn't counted.  Plus we had our second child was born Dec 23.  We got almost $8k back that year.  Then this past tax return DH was deployed for 4 months, so we got about $6k back.  We're looking at probably another $6k return this year too; because he was, once again, deployed for 8 months out of the year; however I had a part time job that will give us more income.

momoftatertots
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM

This year we should get about $2000 back this year, we got more last year but this year we paid less per month.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
MzSeXyC
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM

$2,000-$4,000. 

betsyabel
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM

We usually get back about $3000 from state and $7000 federal.  Hubby works on the road & can write off all his expenses.  But, this  year hubby made about twice what he usually does and I got a big inheritance so we're going to end up paying in about $7000. 

Mommy2LPK
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 8:01 AM

We just went the other day and got the emerald card so they gave us an estament on what we'd be getting and it was around $8,000. Could be more or less though, just an estament. Hopefully though, we are getting all new furniture this tax season. Can't waittttttt!!!

jcsg
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Usually we either pay or only get a small amount back.  Same with State.  Last year however, we got about $1000.  And that was only because of my new job.  I have a lot of deductions so that really helped.  This year, who knows, but I'm thinking we'll get more since I have even more deductions this year.  

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2009 at 8:26 AM

2 years ago we got $17K back from Federal... that was nice..

Now, we typically get between $4k- $10K depending on Dh's bonuses, business trips if any and our charitable donations. Of course, we also pay a crap load of taxes since dh is in one of the highest tax brackets due to his job.

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Admin- International Adoption
kat247
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 9:34 AM

between $5,000-$6,000 federal but state we dont really get anything.Lasy year we got $70 from state,well we were supposed to it never freaking came,and no one would tell us what happened

southernjess3
by on Nov. 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM

well..dh makes good money..we have a lot of extras..but they do take a lot out of his checks..for some reason, we should get around $9,000 back this year..hhhmm..

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)