Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Earrings..infection

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 6:51 AM
  • 16 Replies

So my DD (age 8) got her ears pierced back in early August.  She had her starter earrings in until about a week ago when she asked if she could change them out.  My MIL had sent several pairs from Claires..so my DD picked out a pair to put in.  Well, today when she was cleaning them, she told me that they had been sore for a few days,  but today started hurting really bad.  Well...of course they are now infected.  So my question is, do you think it's an allergy to the cheap metal from the Claires earrings?  She had NO problems with the starter set from Claires (which were 14Kt gold).  We took out her earrings and I told her we have to leave them out until the infection clears up...I've had my ears pierced over half my life, so it's no issue going months without wearing earrings..since hers have only been pierced a few months, will it be okay to leave earrings out for a few days until it clears up?  Also, should we just continue using the solution from Claires or buy something different?

by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 6:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nonelikeme
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM

She probably IS allergic to the cheap metal, I am, and I know lots of people that are..when I end up with a pair of cheap earrings, I usually cover them with clear nail polish so they have a protective "seal" around them.. but when they would get infected, I would just clean them, put REAL earrings in, and they would be better in about a day or two without having to leave them out all together.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Wife to Alan *2/23/08* Momma to Kenden *8/12/08*Air Force Wife Pictures, Images and PhotosI'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint.

mammapickle
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 7:10 AM

i've worked at claires, and imo (and experience from having my dd done) it is more then likely a reaction to the metal. But you should clean the holes and put the starter set back in and continue cleaning on the starter schedule(morning, night, after showers, and turning them). Leaving them out might not mean they close, but it has been a short time and we used to recommend that something be left in most of the time for at least 6 months. With an infection it could also scar over the hole instead of just closing, and it makes it harder to place when re-piercing. 

On a side note, your dd might not always have a reaction to reg. metel earings, it's something some kids can grow out of. And sometimes the hypoallergenic or nickle free lines cause less or no reaction.

montessori_mama
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 7:11 AM

You're probably right about the allergy - I'd bet that's what it is.  I've always had the same problem.  You can always keep using the solution from Claire's.  I've always just used rubbing alcohol - especially when infected - to make sure the infection is killed.  She can probably continue to wear earrings, just ones that won't irritate, but she should take them out and clean both them and her ears at least twice a day.  I know I always hated to go without earrings while my ears were infected, since they look a bit .. gross without when they're all red. 

annie6884
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM

My ears are really sensitive like that I can only wear real gold earrings. When I wear the cheap kinds all I have to do is rub some alcohol on my ears and get my good earrings out dip those in neosporin and put them in my ears and my ears heal fast.

LadyIQ
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2009 at 7:26 AM

My daughters have the same problem, their ears are highly sensitive to the nickel in earrings.  I still buy cheap earrings(they lose a pair a week)but I make sure that they are hypoallergenic earrings.  You can get them at walmart and even Claires just make sure to read the label. They can wear for a limited time the regular earrings, but cannot keep them in overnight.

Peroxide is the best healer, just make sure that you have the starter studs back in for a while so that the hole doesnt close.

yummy_mommy89
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 7:53 AM

my moms a body piercer, earings ect. she said to get new earrings and put them in dont taake them out of they are infected bc u can cause a boil to form they need some sore of earring in to drain the infection.

Xstitchinmom
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2009 at 8:45 AM

I had my ears pierced when I was a teen, but soon found out I was allergic to nickel in the earrings. My left ear got infected, and a keloid scar slowly developed behind the ear. It was the size of a marble when docs surgically removed it a year later. The scar itself didn't hurt, but I haven't wore earrings since. I don't want to risk another infection...

Cin53
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 8:59 AM

No, she needs to get those earrings back in as soon as possible or the holes will quickly close themselves up. Most people are sensitive to the cheaper metals, and the older they get the worse it will get. As your daughter was likely pierced with non-allergenic surgical steel you won't have anyway of knowing if there is a type she is sensitive or allergic to yet. Besides, it's much easier to clear up the infection with the earnings in place as it allows the salt water to get through the hole to the earrings.

Most piercers don't recommend that you use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide any more as they are both so strong that they can cause troubles all on their own. I used a surgical scrub but it can only be bought at medical house supply shops and salt water is just as good and was recommended by my physician too. You'd be surprised how fast those holes will close up and then she'll have to go through it all again. Whatever you do, don't put an of the antibiotic creams on her ears. They are meant to close up the holes and will do in very quick order, often leaving an infection sealed in behind it that will still have to be dealt with. Don't worry though. It commonly happens and with almost no bad reactions afterwards anyway.

obrn4u
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM

A lot of people have sensitivity to nickel (which is a metal mix in cheaper jewelry.) After she gets the current problem cleared up, try using hypoallergenic or nickel free ...... if that doesn't work she may be only able to wear real gold or real silver.

mamaoftwins9197
by on Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I was going to say this.  Most doctors and piercers will tell you not to take the jewelry out of a suspected infected area...go to the doctor.  Some infections can be relatively minor and taken care of at home...others require antibiotics.  I've heard that removing the jewelry from an infected piercing can allow the infection to spread to the blood stream.  I would be more concerned with that than whether or not the hole was going to close.  We got DD's ears pierced right before her first birthday and took them out right before her second.  She never had an infection or problem, but she kept loosing earrings.

Quoting yummy_mommy89:

my moms a body piercer, earings ect. she said to get new earrings and put them in dont taake them out of they are infected bc u can cause a boil to form they need some sore of earring in to drain the infection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)