Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a ? for those who want to rush to the ER every 5 min...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM
  • 79 Replies

if its not a life threatening emergency, and you have to ask yourself (or women on CM) 'should i go to the ER?',

why is it you automatically want to go to the ER instead of a walk-in clinic? of course if your child isnt breathing, or their arm is obviously broken, go to the ER. but if they have a fever, or a rash, or threw up a few times, etc, why go to the EMERGENCY room? its waaaaaaaay more expensive!!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KT9105
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

The only time I make a mad dash to the ER is when I'm pregnant.  Besides, the ER is 24 hrs, not all walk in clinics are.

ready_for2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:18 AM

im not trying to bash, im just really curious!!! do some places just not have walk in clinics or what?

ashnevlex
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM

We don't have walk-in clinics.

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:19 AM

i know here we JUST got our 1st walk-in clinic ... maybe some places still dont have them?

Momof3smoochies
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I've only gone to the ER when I'm pregnant and when one of my son's got a fever of a 105. Trust me when the thought of an ER crosses my mind. I don't sit here on my computer and ask a bunch of mom's if I should go or not. Besides I don't have a walk-in clinic here that I know of.

scoutfamilyof7
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Well for me they just opened up a walk in clinic at our clinic. We are military and works a little differant at our post. We are assined to a certain clinic and can only be seen there. And until about two weeks ago the only walk in clinic the offered was on the weekends. And to get and appt foe something simple was like pulling teeth. I mean one of my children was complaining about her ear and has a 102 temp so I waited till the next morn to get an appt. Nope nothing for two weeks, my only option was the ER or wait until the weekend, but it was only like Tuesday. So up until two weeks ago I didn't have a choice. I dread the ER and try to avoid it at all costs and now that my clinic finally has the day walkin I won't be using the ER unless it is life or death.

clovismommy25
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

We have 2, but they are open from 8 am to 8pm, after that we are told to go to the ER if we dont want to wait until morning, which really,you probably will any way. My son was blue and having trouble breathing, we were told a wait of 4 hrs was expected as long as he was still breathing a little. FUCK THAT SHIT! We drove to the next town, 20mins a way, to their ER were seen,, treated and sent home and drove back in less than 2hrs. I HATE OUR HOSPITAL!!!!

I am Magen,  a 21 year old, former teen mommy with two children(Amon and Ryan),married to(Dustin) the father of both my children,high school graduate, exclusively & extended public breastfeeding (with no cover), baby wearing, co-sleeping, CIO is cruel, extended rear facing, extended harnessing, vaccinating, circumcising, thumb sucking encouraging, disposable diaper using, lets my kids trash the house, then picks it up for them, going to public school, doesn't force church but believes in God, goes to bed angry, does not fold laundry, loves to organize, listen to heavy metal and country, reads constantly, plays world of war craft with my husband, pro-life, child abuse survivor(NOT victim), republican, soon-to-be home owning, living my American dream, stay at home mommy!

dusky_rose
by Sue on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I'm just glad we have a walk-in clinic nearby.

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Are you talking about, like the ones they have at walgreens? we are a very small town and don't have those. I don't run to the ER every  5 minutes. but some people go for everything rather than their regular doctor because they don't have insurance and/or money. and the er has to see you even if you don't have insurance or money. 

Lesli310
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:28 AM

We have a Pt First which I will go to but they close at 9pm so after 9 if its that bad that it CANT wait til morning then its to the ER we go.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)