Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kick a ginger day

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM
  • 11 Replies
Overall this is abhorant behavior, however, I find southpark to be a gernerally hilarious show with great satire on America's beliefs and institutions. This episode was obviously taken out of context, and children this age are not mature enough to be watching this type of humor. How do you feel?

3 boys detained for Calif. 'Ginger Day' attacks

LOS ANGELES — Three boys were booked on suspicion of bullying or kicking red-haired students at a middle school when a "Kick a Ginger Day" prank inspired by a "South Park" episode got out of hand, authorities said Monday.

A 13-year-old boy was detained last week for investigation of threatening to inflict injury by means of electronic communication — essentially, cyberbullying. Two 12-year-olds were booked for battery on school property, Los Angeles County sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

The three suspects, whose identities were not released because of their ages, were booked Wednesday and released to their parents. They could face misdemeanor charges, but it was unclear when the case might be submitted for possible prosecution, Whitmore said.

Four girls and three boys reported that schoolmates shoved or kicked them on Nov. 20 at A.E. Wright Middle School in Calabasas, an affluent suburb of Los Angeles.

No serious injuries were reported. Most incidents involved a single person kicking a student's shoe or leg, but one youngster was bruised when three or four boys confronted him at once, said Donald Zimring, superintendent of the Las Virgenes Unified School District.

He may have been kicked in the groin or head while on the ground, although accounts differ, Zimring said.

"Any time a youngster gets hurt because of a thoughtless act ... there ought to be consequences," Zimring said.

Assemblies were held Monday at the school to discuss the incident.

Investigators said the attacks apparently were inspired by a 2005 episode of "South Park" that parodied racial prejudice by having the character Cartman incite a hate campaign against freckled, red-haired "ginger kids."

The episode apparently inspired the 13-year-old to send his friends a Facebook message declaring "Kick a Ginger Day," Zimring said.

Most students ignored or deplored the message and some sent "Protect a Ginger Day" counter-messages, but a dozen or so students apparently acted on the joke, Zimring said.

The students involved were facing discipline ranging from picking up school trash to five-day suspensions. None will be expelled, Zimring said.

"The youngsters involved understand that this was not acceptable, and they have made various forms of apology and contrition," Zimring said.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_mimimosley_
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:16 AM

idk

i do not think kids should watch it, but i do and i think it is so funny.

KT9105
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Yes kids that age should be able to watch that type of humor because the little morons should know by then the difference between real life and fantasy.  We can't blame tv, video games, etc on kids dumbass behavior without first looking at their idiot parents.  This is 100% a parenting problem, not a media problem.

lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM

I love Southpark. However..I'd never let my son watch it. Not until he's much older.

1sttimemommy198
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:21 AM

I don't think south park was ever intended for children to watch. I honestly think it was made for adults and adults only...12 and 13 yr olds shouldn't be watching it...me and DH occasionally watch it..some of it's funny..other stuff I find too stupid to be funny.  

IanAndMillasMom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM

I personally don't care for the show at all.  My kids are young still, but I don't see myself giving them permission to watch it, especially at 12 years old!  That being said, it's really hard to blame it on one thing.  I think the show influenced them and gave them an idea, but it depends on the individual child.  One may have been prone to this type of behaviour, while another was giving into peer preassure.  Either way, the kids should know better and be punished.

MommynMonster
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I think that show is absolute filth, and not just because of it's recent influence on violence against redheads, but because there is nothing entertaining about it. It's a low class mind that jeers at innocent people.

Kayci9
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

obviously you don't have much understanding of satire

Quoting MommynMonster:

I think that show is absolute filth, and not just because of it's recent influence on violence against redheads, but because there is nothing entertaining about it. It's a low class mind that jeers at innocent people.

MamaTasha08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:47 AM

I agree.

Quoting KT9105:

Yes kids that age should be able to watch that type of humor because the little morons should know by then the difference between real life and fantasy.  We can't blame tv, video games, etc on kids dumbass behavior without first looking at their idiot parents.  This is 100% a parenting problem, not a media problem.

MommynMonster
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I do, but it's message is lost among the rest of the bile that show airs.

Quoting Kayci9:

obviously you don't have much understanding of satire

Quoting MommynMonster:

Kayci9
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I agree in the sense that it is a parenting problem, not a media problem; but that is one of the reasons they should not be able to watch TV like this. Its not the shows fault, but the parents should know that these kids inparticular were not mature enough to handle this sort of humor and shouldn't have been allowed to watch the show.

Quoting MamaTasha08:

I agree.

Quoting KT9105:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)