Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AHHHH I'm going to lose my mind, in 2 days!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

airplane

So I'm flying out on wednesday for our trip back home to Virginia (we live in Montana) and its going to be me, my husband and our 3 kids.

Anyone have any tips on flying with 3 kids under the age of 5? We plan on bringing my boys' backpack (it has wheels) and put coloring books and maybe some toys and we will be bringing some things for our DD, and a carrier for our daughter.

But is there anything else? Anything we can do to keep our sanity?

We have only 1 layover, so we will have about a 2 hour flight then a layover in Denver, then we fly to D.C. and I believe that flight is about 4 hours because of the time change. So even though its not a bad flight, our kids WILL get annoyed and bored...AHH!

TIPS needed!!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kristinmomof2
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:34 AM

TONS of snacks, coloring books, books to read, maybe hand held games, toys they love, little dollar toys that are cheap but kids love, playdough, a portable dvd player with some kid movies. 

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:36 AM

=( we don't have a portable DVD player, maybe my husband will bring his laptop...

and do they allow snacks in carry on baggage?

Quoting Kristinmomof2:

TONS of snacks, coloring books, books to read, maybe hand held games, toys they love, little dollar toys that are cheap but kids love, playdough, a portable dvd player with some kid movies. 

Kristinmomof2
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I haven't flown in a couple years so I can't say for sure...but the last time I flew I was allowed to bring snacks for my kids in their carry on. DEF bring a laptop....it might save you from those last 30 minutes where the kids need SOMETHING to entertain them lol! Good luck :)

Quoting MomTo2Boys2526:

=( we don't have a portable DVD player, maybe my husband will bring his laptop...

and do they allow snacks in carry on baggage?

Quoting Kristinmomof2:

maizys_mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I hope the flights go well. Bring something for them to suck on for their ears. If they pop it could set them off for a bad trip all around. My daughter did 6 flights in three weeks at 8 months old. 5 our  of the 6 she did great. It was the trip from Newark airport to Scotland that was the worst.  Just bring whatever you know will keep them occupied. My daughter does ok on flights from the west coast to the east coast (ie: california to NJ or NJ to california.) but she gets bored quick. Get in contact with the airlines and see if they will have those pilots wings that sometimes they hand out to kids. Im not sure if all airlines do that anymore but you might be able to tell your older 2 (if they are old enough to understand that is) that if they are really good they get have pilot wings just like the pilots and its a really special thing. That might help.

maizys_mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I have been allowed to bring snacks on for my DD just make sure that they aren't opened yet. I was also allowed to bring bottled water that I purchased after going through security

kiralyn
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:45 AM

i learned a trick when i was flying with my dd who was 2 at the time. if their ears are popping...you take two plastic cups, put wet paper towels inside them and stick them over their ears..it will make them feel better. a flight attendant taught me that and it SAVED us! i agree with the other ladies, lots of snacks, play doh is fun, toys, etc. travel pillows also.

lovinmykiddo07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:46 AM

All I can say is I'll pray for you! Lol When my 2 year old & I flew from WA to FL I packed everything imaginable to keep him occupied & he didnt want any of it. :(

MomTo2Boys2526
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Yeah I'm very nervous! Plus I have a hard time flying in general (bad motion sickness and a small fear of flying) lol but the WANT to go home makes it so worth it!

I have a feeling thats how its going to be with my kids..

My 5 year old has flown twice (once with me and once with my MIL) and has done very well (besides having a few "fits" here and there about being tired) and my 2 year old has only flown once and was not with me (again with my MIL) and my daughter (13 months) has flown like 2 times (3 if you want to count her trip while I was pregnant lol) but she was very young, first time she was 6 weeks old and then the next time she was like 5 months old.

I'm so nervous!! lol

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

All I can say is I'll pray for you! Lol When my 2 year old & I flew from WA to FL I packed everything imaginable to keep him occupied & he didnt want any of it. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)