Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

50% effaced, but still closed???

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

I went to the doctor today and said that I was 50% effaced, but "still closed". I'm not sure what that means. Any insight? He kept saying that I could go into labor tonight though, so I don't understand what is closed.

pregnant
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Ixchel183
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM

effacement is thinning out...being closed means you haven't dilated yet. i didn't see when your due date is but don't be too excited, i was 50% effaced and 3cm dilated for a little over 3 weeks.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:59 AM

It means your cervix is thinning but hasn't dialated. I was 50% effaced for 3 weeks before I started dialating. Best wishes for a speedy delivery!

deltacogirl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM

When is your due date?  Usually 50% effaced doesn't mean too much, unless you're right around your due date.

ttcababynelson
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM

my due date is the 16th.

pregnant
stephNcary
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:08 AM

closed just means your not dilated.

dont get your hopes up when they tell you when they think youll go into labor. i was 3 cm and 60% effaced for a couple weeks and the dr. told me every week that i wouldnt make it to my due date... so i left work a week earlier than planned but went into labor on my due date and had him less than 4 hrs later...i had to wait for the dr. to push... dang dr.s they cant predict how fast your body will labor/or when active labor will actually start.

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

our newest addition coming soon:

Ixchel183
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Quoting stephNcary:

closed just means your not dilated.

dont get your hopes up when they tell you when they think youll go into labor. i was 3 cm and 60% effaced for a couple weeks and the dr. told me every week that i wouldnt make it to my due date... so i left work a week earlier than planned but went into labor on my due date and had him less than 4 hrs later...i had to wait for the dr. to push... dang dr.s they cant predict how fast your body will labor/or when active labor will actually start.

everyone kept telling me that too! nurses, my CNM, my doula, my mom and my aunt! i had her 3 days before she was due lol (i also had a bulging bag of waters for a couple weeks...was hoping that meant soon delivery but that sucker held out on me, it did break tho and that's when labor finally started!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)