Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax Help..PLEASE!!!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM
  • 5 Replies

Okay..so last year I had my taxes prepared by H&R Block because my DH was deployed and I didn't want to deal with it myself.  I paid a little over $100 for the service at an H&R Block office in my town.  Well today I received a letter in the mail from the State Department of Revenue seeking almost $400 because of an error in filing my taxes.  Does anyone know about H&R Blocks guarantee as far as this is concerned.  THIS is the reason I went to a company..because I didn't want to screw them up myself...and in the end, it was screwed up anyway.  Since I live overseas, it took a while for the letter to get to me..and the deadline is Dec 4th.  If it's not paid in full by Jan 1, they add on a 10% fee.  WTF.  I emailed H&R Block about it and hopefully will hear back from them..but has anyone gone through this or does anyone do tax work for them and might be able to offer some advice??  I don't have $400 sitting around right before the holidays to pay on taxes...UGH!!!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stephNcary
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:10 AM

im not positive but im pretty sure they have to fix it for free. whether its pay the money or show that you really dont owe that money.

Taking each day as it comes and trying to make the best out of every situation. I love my family and hate to cook, Taco bell is my favorite although i try not to eat out all the time. Im a probreastfeeding, anti CIO, gotta work kind of mom.

our newest addition coming soon:

KatherineM
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Did you pay the extra money for the garentee if so then you dont have to pay aything. If anything call the iRS number and give them the refferecne number try to explain that you are over seas and tell them H&R block did your taxes and you are trying to get ahold of them.

EDIT

I found this on there site

We Take Responsibility for Our Mistakes

Our associate training and system of safeguards are carefully designed to ensure the accuracy of your return. Mistakes are rare at H&R Block. However, if we do make an error in the preparation of your tax return that costs you any interest or penalty on additional taxes due, we will reimburse you for the interest and penalty.

lbdm2002
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Ugh..I'm going to have to pull out my tax folder..i think it's still in a box somewhere.  See if it says anything.  what a mess!!!

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Nope. IDK anything. But I think they do have that guarantee, that if it's their error, they will pay it. Good Luck, and here's a bump for you!!!

lbdm2002
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Hmm..so I read more of the letter they sent and it said that sales tax on the purchase of a vehicle isn't allowed to be claimed on taxes...so since I bought a car in 08, I wonder if that's what she accidentally did..added in that sales tax.  Ugh..I HOPE that H&R takes care of this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)