Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does nobody donate for teenagers pls read and vote

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM
  • 41 Replies

Poll

Question: Who do you donate for??

Options:

kids 0-3

kids 3-5

kids 6-10

pre-teens 10-12

Teenagers 13 and up

Elderly

Other (some asked me to add because there is always other) Please explain!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Seems people always donate for gifts for little kids for Christmas what about Teenagers. There are plenty of teens in foster homes or in families that can't afford Christmas. They deserve gifts as well or even gift cards. Please when donating think of teens not just the little ones. Its harder for older kids to explain why they did not get anything for Christmas to their friends. I am trying to get something going to collect for teens and donate it to the Salvation Army toy drive they collect for kids up to 16 but they seem to get forgotten about and not mentioned.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
magenta2325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM

bump

lvaughn26
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Before we moved I went to a church that had an "Adopt A Family" program. Families in need would write to the church and small groups would each take a family. We would provide them with a box of food to make their own Christmas dinner, and we would purchase gifts for the kids in the family. The best part was the wrapping party. Everyone would bring their gifts up to the church, and the kids' parents would come and help wrap the gifts. It was soooo cool. The families were blessed and so were we. Since moving to Jersey, I haven't gotten involved in the community, but I hope to do so once I'm settled with the new baby.

CafeMom Tickers
magenta2325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM

Quoting lvaughn26:

Before we moved I went to a church that had an "Adopt A Family" program. Families in need would write to the church and small groups would each take a family. We would provide them with a box of food to make their own Christmas dinner, and we would purchase gifts for the kids in the family. The best part was the wrapping party. Everyone would bring their gifts up to the church, and the kids' parents would come and help wrap the gifts. It was soooo cool. The families were blessed and so were we. Since moving to Jersey, I haven't gotten involved in the community, but I hope to do so once I'm settled with the new baby.

That is so neat and sounds like fun.

DigiScrapperMom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM

I usually donate for whatever age my kids are because I know what that age likes.  I think I want to donate for teens this year, but I'm not sure what to buy.

NikiAnne
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:20 AM

We normally donate to kids who are the same age as our kids. We really try to get the kids involved, like packing the shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child or picking out and turning in a gift from the giving tree at the mall. I think it helps them relate better if it's a kid their own age. So as they get older, we'll donate to older kids as well. However, I think you make an excellent point. It seems that so many donations are focused on kids around 10 and younger. But older kids could be just as hurt or disappointed by not getting anything too.

magenta2325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM

I think good gifts for teens are, video games, make up & accessories, deoderant, razors, hats, scarves, gloves, socks, slippers, skate boards, clothes, gift cards at mall or wal-mart, perfume, cologne, hair brushes or hair accessories, bikes, small hand held games, puzzle books, reading books from a teen section, crafts, school supplies, art supplies, games for older kids, cds, movies There is so much room decor like pillows, blankets, posters There is so much a teen would love.

Quoting DigiScrapperMom:

I usually donate for whatever age my kids are because I know what that age likes.  I think I want to donate for teens this year, but I'm not sure what to buy.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I didn't vote we will give to anyone that needs it, no matter the age or the time of year!

magenta2325
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I can't believe nobody is replying or voting on this poll. 

RoguesMommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM

You need to add the elderly as an option.

We donate to the elderly.

I'll put some toys in the box for toys for tots, or pick a name or two of kids off the angel tree- if their wishes are in a nice price range for me...getting harder to find those these few years.

They have elderly people on angel trees too and we'll grab a few of those as their wishes are mostly needs.

PhotobucketLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
proudmotherof5k
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:18 PM

same here

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I didn't vote we will give to anyone that needs it, no matter the age or the time of year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)