Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single & the military

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

Do you know a single mother in the military? How is her experience? Has she ever been deployed?  Preferably someone in the Air Force.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Cavalrybaby02
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:28 AM

I know single parents in the military.  They have family care plans and they use them when they deploy (most of the ones I know are Army and they have deployed for a year)

BUT you cannot JOIN the military as a single parent who has custody of your child.  The only way you can be a single parent in the military is if you become one while you are serving.

RiyahsMommy08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:32 AM

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

I know single parents in the military.  They have family care plans and they use them when they deploy (most of the ones I know are Army and they have deployed for a year)

BUT you cannot JOIN the military as a single parent who has custody of your child.  The only way you can be a single parent in the military is if you become one while you are serving.

My recruiter knows I have two children. I am waiting on my son to become six months. I just have to do really well on the ASVAB and hopefully I will be allowed an exemption.

purplemoosemom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:41 AM

why are you considering the military as a single parent?

Cavalrybaby02
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:50 AM

Quoting RiyahsMommy08:

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

My recruiter knows I have two children. I am waiting on my son to become six months. I just have to do really well on the ASVAB and hopefully I will be allowed an exemption.

That must be an Air Force thing.  I don't know a lot about them.  I know they all have different rules about joining, though.

I know that in the Army, you CANNOT join as a single parent.  They'll turn you away.  My husband is an Army Recruiter and has had to turn away many single parents.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM

You may also be required to give up custody of your children when you join. I know a lot of single parents in the military. If you are joining the military during this time, the question isn't if you will deploy, it is when you will deploy.

serioussifL
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:01 AM

I know of somebody in DH's family that is a single mom in the army. She is deployed right now, and family is watching her DD. But from what Ive gathered about her, she isnt a very good mother, and her DD doesnt even really know her too well because she is always being cared for by family or daycare.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)