Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cord blood banking...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:50 AM
  • 8 Replies

good morning

I'm expecting and would love nothing more than to do this but financially its soooo expensive =( 

I was wondering who has done it and if you have ever had to use it in the event of a medical procedure and what the outcome was?     Also I get these little e-mailes from my hospital telling me about my babies progress inside the womb and how its growing and what I should expect and all that whoopla lol well this time it was about the cord blood banking and it got me asking these questions.. Also it said this:  "The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend cord-blood banking and states, “Cord-blood donation should be discouraged when cord blood stored in a bank is to be directed for later personal or family use, because most conditions that might be helped by cord blood stem cells already exist in the infant’s cord blood, (i.e., premalignant changes in stem cells).” However, the AAP does encourage cord-blood banking when the cord blood will be banked and held for public use." 

And I was wondering WHY the American Academy of Peds doesn't recomend such a thing? does anyone know???   Anyway thanks for reading mamas and have a great morning = ) 

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting our baby boy in March 2010!!pregnancy

Got Mamas Milk BlinkieI Love My LCPL BlinkieProud Mom Of Girls Blinkie

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3greatkids751
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:19 AM

Nobody?????? Seriously??

Wife to my Marine 3-7-07  Mommy to 3 little princess's - Faith  2-16-02, Kaylee 3-14-04, Madison 1-24-08.. Expecting our baby boy in March 2010!!pregnancy

sallymoon
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I believe what the AAP is stating is that they do not recommend private banking of cord blood for use for that child because the chances of needing it and being able to use it are very low.  It does seem, however, that they recommend donating cord blood to a public cord blood bank for that it will be available for the next matching child who needs it.  Private cord banking is expensive, but public cord blood donation does not cost the donor anything.  We had our son's cord blood donated because we did not feel the cost of private banking was worth it and wanted to be able to help save another child who definitely needed it.

mom_of_2_in_ny
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I did it through CBR.  So far, thankfully I have not needed it, and hopefully I never will. My OBGYN highly recommened it. I didnt know enough about it with my 1st son, but I did it with my 2nd. This is my theory, thankfully I have been able to afford it, so I did it. What's the worst that can happen I dont ever need, that would be a good thing. It's nice to know that it is there in case i ever do actually need it.  It is a very controversial subject, but like I said, for me, it's more for piece of mind. 

3greatkids751
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

How do you do this.. I have only seen the ones for like the CBR and stuff like that.. I would however LOVE to do something like this and be able to help another child in need because I would want the same thing to happen for one of my children! Can you give me some info if you have any!

Quoting sallymoon:

I believe what the AAP is stating is that they do not recommend private banking of cord blood for use for that child because the chances of needing it and being able to use it are very low.  It does seem, however, that they recommend donating cord blood to a public cord blood bank for that it will be available for the next matching child who needs it.  Private cord banking is expensive, but public cord blood donation does not cost the donor anything.  We had our son's cord blood donated because we did not feel the cost of private banking was worth it and wanted to be able to help save another child who definitely needed it.

oboe_chik
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I didn't do any type of cord blood banking but they did give me a little of each of the kids cord blood sealed in a bag, then put in a paper envelope, to use in the case that we would need some kind of dna identification for our kids.

3greatkids751
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

O that's neat! I never got that.. where the heck do you keep it?

Quoting oboe_chik:

I didn't do any type of cord blood banking but they did give me a little of each of the kids cord blood sealed in a bag, then put in a paper envelope, to use in the case that we would need some kind of dna identification for our kids.

sallymoon
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I found the information I needed from this website:

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/index.html

It was pretty easy for us... it just so happened that the hospital we would be giving birth at had someone in-house to take cord blood donations.  All we had to do was tell them when we got to the hospital that we wanted our son's cord blood to be donated.  I think I had to fill out a questionnaire or something, but the whole process was really simply.  You might have to make some phone calls if your particular hospital does not have in-house cord blood collections, but I think it's worth it.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

How do you do this.. I have only seen the ones for like the CBR and stuff like that.. I would however LOVE to do something like this and be able to help another child in need because I would want the same thing to happen for one of my children! Can you give me some info if you have any!

Quoting sallymoon:

3greatkids751
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Thanks so much!! =)

Quoting sallymoon:

I found the information I needed from this website:

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/index.html

It was pretty easy for us... it just so happened that the hospital we would be giving birth at had someone in-house to take cord blood donations.  All we had to do was tell them when we got to the hospital that we wanted our son's cord blood to be donated.  I think I had to fill out a questionnaire or something, but the whole process was really simply.  You might have to make some phone calls if your particular hospital does not have in-house cord blood collections, but I think it's worth it.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

Quoting sallymoon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)