Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fear In Childbirth

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:46 AM
  • 42 Replies

Poll

Question: Did TV make you more hesitant or frightened of birth in general?

Options:

Yes

No

Other (Because there always is one)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 108

View Results

I have been noticing a lot lately that there is such a large amount of fear associated with pregnancy and birth, mostly from American women so I started trying to think where it all comes from and it dawned on me... TV!

Did TV make you more hesitant or frightened of birth in general?

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History

Mom to
Camden Kent 12/11/07
&
Benjamin Emil 05/17/09

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aarensmommy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM

it didnt for me cuz i didnt have any of the complications most women do on tv...but it scares the crap out of my husband when i watch them shows.

Cathy1983km
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM

No, I think it truly is just the unknown and also everyone else's pregnancy horror stories they just have to spring on you doesn't help either!

mamivon2
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Thats why i dont watch those kind of shows. Besides I really dont need to see how some woman gives birth.

OxbAbIebxO
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM

It did scare me a little bit, but I was with my mom when I was 16 and she had my baby sister and it was nothing like those women on TV. We used to watch A Baby Story, Bringing Home Baby, Special Delivery, etc. All of those shows before she had my sister and I was like hmm I don't know if I want to be in the room after all LOL but it wasn't anything like that. Then after I had my son I was like okay I think these women are little big exaggerating! I mean really they scream like they are being murdered and it's a little much.

wife.and.mommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM

TV didnt make me fear child birth.. i have always had a fear of it.. which is why i opted for an elective C section.  

my2girls516
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Before I became pregnant, all my friends and family told me how miserable they were being pregnant.  Well I had great pregnancies, I loved being pregnant.  Therefore, any horror stories I was told about or saw on T.V., I paid no attention to.   

isra1986
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I actually asked a question like this on here before, asking "Are there an moms that acted like that in childbirth?"
I seriously thought there was something odd about me because I walked in the hospital and spent my labor calm and happy, laughing! (When it came time to push though, I was still quiet, I just kept saying " I can't do this" over and over, lol.)
I wasn't fearful by what I saw on TV. I knew I was a strong person and even in pain that made these women on TV act like that, I could handle it!
But I never experianced that level of pain in my drug free childbirth, lol.

mamalinzie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Absolutely!  The vast majority of American women don't have a clue what normal birth is. All we see growing up is women screetching in agony, or completely doped up on medications. It wasnt until I saw a Baby Story where a family had this amazing, peaceful home birth that I realized it didnt have to be so horrible. Whether you realize it or not,  the way you see birth growing up will effect how you view your own birth.

Ina May Gaskins is the leading midwife in the country, and she has this book called "Ina Mays Guide To Childbirth." The first 100 pages or so are all empowering birth stories.

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

mamalinzie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM

The fact that you were calm, relaxed, and happy is what most likely made your labor less painful and more manageable. =)

Quoting isra1986:

I actually asked a question like this on here before, asking "Are there an moms that acted like that in childbirth?"
I seriously thought there was something odd about me because I walked in the hospital and spent my labor calm and happy, laughing! (When it came time to push though, I was still quiet, I just kept saying " I can't do this" over and over, lol.)
I wasn't fearful by what I saw on TV. I knew I was a strong person and even in pain that made these women on TV act like that, I could handle it!
But I never experianced that level of pain in my drug free childbirth, lol.

Why does my Pre-Schooler ride Rear-Facing? Because she is not a minimum. She deserves more than that. If we get into an accident, I want to know that I have done everything in my power to protect her.  Rear-Facing is endorsed by every car seat authority in the US. It is PROVEN to be safer. Why would I choose to take an unneccessary risk with the most precious gift that I have been given? PM me for more info!

goldenglow1984
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Nah after doing it 5 times now it's not that bad. The first time I was a little nervous but not now.

Cassandra, wife to David, mom to Brianna, Jordan, Adrianna, Alexea and Jonny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)