Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did anyone give their pet away due to fleas and did it help to solve the problem?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM
  • 36 Replies

I know this sounds horrible but we have a really bad flea problem. We had the exterminator spray the house and Yard twice in weekly intervals and we treated the cat with a Capstar pill gave him a bath, put frontline on him and put a second dose of frontline on him the next week again ( the vet suggested it) and still he seems to have fleas. Our house is also still flea invested, when I vacuumed today I had 5 fleas on my socks and I saw two jumping right in front of the vacuum and they were not freshly hatched baby fleas but big adult fleas. My husband is so fed up he wants to give the cat away. I know this sounds awful and I would like to keep the cat but we have been nothing but fighting over it for the past weeks. He already found someone who would like to take the cat.

My question, did anyone had fleas and gave their pet away. Did it get better after that and were you able to get rid of the fleas after the pet left?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candygirl1030
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:30 AM

So you are going to give away a pet to someone else so they can have the fleas at their house?  That just doesn't seem right.  My exterminator told me that the only way to get rid of fleas is to vaccum good every single day along with treating the animal.  She said that the chemicals that they use is not a good solution at all and she never suggests it. 

FooLynRoo
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM

I can't say it enough, the easiest way to get rid of fleas is to PREVENT THEM. But you have them now. And more than likely its your home thats giving them BACK to the cat.

The cat doesn't make fleas.

Your house is infested, and will remain so, cat or not.

You need to consult a GOOD exterminator on a long term solution.

Ask your husband what he plans to do with your kids when they get lice.

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM

nope, i love my cat, and yes he did come with fleas!!!! vacuum ALL THE TIME,,, and treat the cat!! plain and simple,,,, just a pain in the ass!

shecallsmemom04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM

due to my job, i have fleas quite often.  but no, i have never dumped my problems or responsibilities on someone else.  i end up with everyone else's problems and responsibilities.  i get an animal, it's for the duration of their life.  animals are not disposable.

technically no, just because you get rid of a pet, doesn't mean you will get rid of the fleas.  it usually doesn't work like that.  fleas can linger. 

i suggest googling natural flea remedies, i have better luck with them over vet and expensive treatments.

if you are one of those overly annoying people, who seem to get offended over every little thing, and like to pull out the "judgemental" card....please, do not quote me.  i don't pay attention to stupid and i do not deal with whiners. 

get yourself a tissue, grow up, and move on.  and have a great day.  :-)

stpalmsgirl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Quoting candygirl1030:

So you are going to give away a pet to someone else so they can have the fleas at their house?  That just doesn't seem right.  My exterminator told me that the only way to get rid of fleas is to vaccum good every single day along with treating the animal.  She said that the chemicals that they use is not a good solution at all and she never suggests it. 

Um no did I say that?! Geez I guess no one on here can answer a question without bashing. Of course we will have the cat flea dipped and feed him another capstar before they take him and they do know why we want to give him away. They don't have pets or fleas in the house so he probably wont get, unlike in our house, reinvested after the treatments.

And we do vaccum every single day I just forgot to mention it.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Oh hell no! I WON'T get rid of my babies! We were infested with flea when we lived in Virginia, we continued to treat the cats, dogs, house and yard until they were gone. It can be done.  

kk_bella
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I'm biting my knuckles here.

It's your house and possibly your yard that has the fleas. Your cat is not the problem.

Constant vaccuming, vaccum the couch, the beds, wherever the cat sleeps. Do it every day.

At night after everyone has gone to bed, sprinkle baking soda all over your carpets. Leave it over night. Vaccum it up in the morning. If you need to, do it more than once. This suffocates the fleas. Vaccuming will remove the flea eggs so that no more will hatch.

Find yourself a 100% pure, preservative free vial of essential oils- eucalyptus is a great one to use for bug problems. Put some in a diffuser all around the house, it repels bugs.

Give your cat flea baths once a week.

It will take time to get rid of but don't punish the cat for something it did not do wrong.

stpalmsgirl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I can't say it enough, the easiest way to get rid of fleas is to PREVENT THEM. But you have them now. And more than likely its your home thats giving them BACK to the cat.

The cat doesn't make fleas.

Your house is infested, and will remain so, cat or not.

You need to consult a GOOD exterminator on a long term solution.

Ask your husband what he plans to do with your kids when they get lice.

Yes we know that the cat doesnt make fleas but the exterminator thinks that the cat is the problem.

And i don't really think I need to answer your last question. Although I don't agree with my husband I can understand where he is coming from, our dd has so many flea bites that we have stopped counting that is one of the main reason he wants to get rid of the cat and try to bomb the house again. And I am sorry but we don't feel about our pets the same way as we do about our kids, pets are pets.

celticreverie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:40 AM

It's your house.

Chances are if you got rid of the cat you and the kids would have more fleas on you then you do now.

We had to give our dog to a new family because we couldn't care for her right at the time, and she had fleas, but when she left it was insane.

We flea bombed TWICE.. vacuumed everything, all the time, and they died off.

Luv_my_hubby
by Nikki on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Quoting stpalmsgirl:

Quoting candygirl1030:

Um no did I say that?! Geez I guess no one on here can answer a question without bashing. Of course we will have the cat flea dipped and feed him another capstar before they take him and they do know why we want to give him away. They don't have pets or fleas in the house so he probably wont get, unlike in our house, reinvested after the treatments.

And we do vaccum every single day I just forgot to mention it.

It is extremley important that you throw the vacumn bag away in a sealed bag outside of the house immediately after vaccuming other wise you will never get rid of them.  Godd luck to you momma and no I would never give away my pet for having fleas thats just IMO...WE are dealing with our to doggies and their flea issues at the moment.

Loving wife to Brian

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)