Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too much amniotic fluid....anyone have this?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM
  • 22 Replies

so i had an ultrasound done on wednesday & was told by the ultrasound tech. that i had too much amniotic fluid. she said it was from drinking too much sugary stuff & to cut back. she also said that it wouldn't hurt the baby.

today my dr. said i needed to cut back on the sugary drinks because having too much fluid could lead to c-section.

so i started trying to find info on this and it seems dangerous from what i have read and i can't find anything about sugar intake increasing or decreasing the fluid. anyone have any info or been through this, i would love to hear your story! please and thank you!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ARMYWIFEHILL
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:10 AM

i had over 2 times the amount of a normal person with my daughter! i had already cut out sugar so im sorry but THAT IS NOT THE CAUSE!  but they did decide to induce after i had a ultrasound and i started bleeding a fair amount. they thought the pressure of the fluid and the risk of the cord getting wrapped around her neck or getting knotted was just to high! She was born at 36 weeks 6 days and she was 8lbs 8 oz lol!!! im things will be just fine tho! since they know they can watch you close ya know!

lovemykids0303
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:11 AM

My sister in law just had her baby in October.  She had this.  She NEVER drank any kind of sugary drinks or anything like that.  It's just happens because for some reason the mother's body does not dispose of the amiotic fluid like it should.  She freaked out.  And the baby is fine.  He was 5lbs 11oz and 4 weeks early (had nothing to do with to extra fluid).  Good luck momma!

Photobucket

cafemomkidssiggy.jpg picture by buybeautiful

jess311
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM

i know it is not making since to me because i can't find anything saying that. i still have 2 months before my due date too, and so i am kinda worried that they think decreasing my sugar intake will decrease the fluid.

aimige
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I found out at 24 weeks I had that with Joey.  They checked him for downs syndrom because that is a factor..it was negative.  I had NST's twice a week and a fluid check once a week until I was delivered.  It is also a sign of diabetes and they checked me 3 or 4 times and I never had it.  They told me Joey was gonna be almost 10lbs and he came out 7lbs9oz.. I had a c-section with Joey but it was because of "failure to progress" during my induction.  They didn't want him staying in past his due date because of mild pre-eclampsia.

TheLastLetter
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Sorry heres  hugs for you and a BUMP for you

jess311
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM

i was also checked for down syndrome and diabetes, both came back fine for me also

Quoting aimige:

I found out at 24 weeks I had that with Joey.  They checked him for downs syndrom because that is a factor..it was negative.  I had NST's twice a week and a fluid check once a week until I was delivered.  It is also a sign of diabetes and they checked me 3 or 4 times and I never had it.  They told me Joey was gonna be almost 10lbs and he came out 7lbs9oz.. I had a c-section with Joey but it was because of "failure to progress" during my induction.  They didn't want him staying in past his due date because of mild pre-eclampsia.

jess311
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM

thank you!

Quoting TheLastLetter:

Sorry heres  hugs for you and a BUMP for you

coleysmama
by Lisa on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Its called polyhydramnios. I had it. I was sooo huge. Before finding out that I had this everyone at work was asking me seriously if I was having twins or was sure of my due date. At 5 months I looked like I was 8 months preg.

It is not because of sugary drinks(at least not that I've heard of and I researched extensively). I would definitely get a new dr.

It can be caused by nothing or can signal that there is something a little off with the baby's kidneys or digestive system or other conditions.

It turned out my DS had severe reflux but not sure if that was the cause for my polyhydramnios. I was classified high risk at that point and needed to be monitored closely.

Women with this condition are at greater risk for cord prolapse, leaking fluid or premature delivery. Or they can have none of these things happen and have a totally normal delivery.

Please have this checked out with a dr who has experience with this condition.  

KristinRox
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I had polyhydrominos when I was pregnant this past July. I forget exactly how much but there was A LOT of extra fluid. Noone ever ever said anything about drinking sugary drinks. For me that wouldnt have been the problem.. Im a water feen and I drink A LOT of it, no sugary drinks needed. I read a lot of info on google and it scared the crap out of me.

I did have a c section with my July baby (scheduled.. I had 3 prior c sections under my belt at the time). When he came out he did have pneumonia and spent the first 2 weeks of his life in the NICU. Ive been told the extra fluid may have been the cause for this.

Keep asking your doctor questions and hopefully you get the answers you very much deserve. ~Kristin~

CafeMom Tickers

aimige
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Joey came out with pneumothorax..they said it was because he went into distress during the induction and had a bm before being born.  He spent 6 days in the NICU.  I wonder if the extra fluid was part of the cause with him also.

Quoting KristinRox:

I had polyhydrominos when I was pregnant this past July. I forget exactly how much but there was A LOT of extra fluid. Noone ever ever said anything about drinking sugary drinks. For me that wouldnt have been the problem.. Im a water feen and I drink A LOT of it, no sugary drinks needed. I read a lot of info on google and it scared the crap out of me.

I did have a c section with my July baby (scheduled.. I had 3 prior c sections under my belt at the time). When he came out he did have pneumonia and spent the first 2 weeks of his life in the NICU. Ive been told the extra fluid may have been the cause for this.

Keep asking your doctor questions and hopefully you get the answers you very much deserve. ~Kristin~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)