Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you live off... (VERY personal question)

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM
  • 190 Replies

Could you live off of $1850 a month? Is that a reasonably decent amount of money to pay bills, buy groceries, gas, etc??

What do you live off of a month?

We live off about $3700. But we have no house payment or car payments since we own them. We usually have money to do what we want. But with Christmas, and winter coming, and five kids to buy hats and boots and other winter stuff this month we will be going through money fast!

I think we could make it on $1850 if we had to... but groceries would be tight with seven of us.

Since people were so forthcoming.... 

Our bills total about $900 a month. Overestimating...

Water $25

Cable $150??

Trash $25

Electric $200

Phones $190

Car ins $200? (maybe not that much.... we have four vehicles, but he took some off the road for winter since they are.... "toy cars")

And about 100 in gas (to keep the house warm)

So that totals about $900. Which is like $2800 unaccounted for. YIKES!

And to be completely honest, I have no idea what we spend the rest on. And I always feel like we are poor. 

But I guess between the seven of us we always "need" something. Ah, maybe I just feel this way because of Christmas. I bet summer will be fun! No school, no field trips, no sports... I think.

Oh yeah I did forget home owners.... but we pay that yearly, so blah its hard to remember it all. LOL

Photobucket

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom_2_be2008
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM

If I didn't have a house or car payment I could more than live off of 1850 a month.... I wish I had 1850 a month to live off of...

kk_bella
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:42 AM

In the city of Houston, yes we could but we would be living in the third ward.

I seriously considered it, though, before we had our second child. We almost rented some former project housing that is two blocks from my school and a mile from my husband's old job. The rent was $400 a month.

We decided not to because the area is very VERY high in registered sex offenders and because I go to University of Houston. The students get daily reports of all of the robberies and sexual assaults that go on daily on our campus. I have three rape reportings sitting in my inbox right now :(

Kayla516
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Oh yeah we could. We live off of $1200 a month right now. We rent our home and have a car payment. We barely scrape by, but we're healthy, have food, and the things we NEED. What more can you ask for?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Christy644
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:46 AM

my family  lives off that. it sucks

KristaP13
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM

There are 3 of us, and we live off of 2000-2500 a month depending on hubbys overtime.

When he was laid off, we lived off of 1200 a month though & we still had our rent and car payment. IT was rough, but we made it :)

I think it all depends on where you live though. We live in a nice town, but the cost of living is really cheap because the population is so low. The house we're in now, we pay $600 month rent. In the closest big city, we would have been paying at least $850 for the same exact thing & in that case, we would be struggliing.

I'm a 20 year old, spoiling my daughter with love, Small town living, walmart shoppingresearch b4 vaxing, fuel efficient car driving, anti-fast food & soda, chasing my toddler instead leashing her, giving her carrots instead of cookies, former varsity athlete, making my husbands dinner every night from scratch,Vampire book collecting, Fairy Tale Loving, Camping & canoeing, Atheist Mom, who loves my family more than anything in the world. 

& I beat the Monster aka Smoking addiction...

prego7386
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:48 AM

hmmmm i dont think we could where we are at not but maybe back in ga....as it is now the military pays for our house and utilities...if that were the case then yeah i def could

gardenchic
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:48 AM

YES!

mirandas_mom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Yes, I could, but it wouldn't be easy.

We're living off $5500 a month now but we try to be frugal (haha) and save money as much as possible. We drive used cars which we paid cash for, and I shop sales and clearance and try never to pay full price for things. We don't have alot of debt and our living expenses are fairly low.

Tia_B
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I need to follow in your shoes. But in my defense... I did find a good poker set (the fire place tools not the game) for fifteen dollars on craigslist!! In the stores they were at least $100!!!! I need to thrift shop a little more often! I used to be SOO good at it. I have just gotten lazy!

Quoting mirandas_mom:

Yes, I could, but it wouldn't be easy.

We're living off $5500 a month now but we try to be frugal (haha) and save money as much as possible. We drive used cars which we paid cash for, and I shop sales and clearance and try never to pay full price for things. We don't have alot of debt and our living expenses are fairly low.

Photobucket

luv2wahm
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM

no we couldn't...I mean, we would if we had to, but it would be hard with the goals we have for our future...

We live off of and save with $4900.

Team Santa~

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)