Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

covering your windows......

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM
  • 27 Replies

Do you put plastic up over your windows to conserve heat and save some money?

Do you think it is trashy to do something like that?

If you do plastic your windows, do you do it on the outside or the inside?

I plastic mine on the inside. My house is very old and we are in need of newer windows but untill that day comes, I plastic. I am a little self-consience (sp) of what ppl think when they come in my home and see it. I use the clearest I can find with clear tape but I still feel like ppl stare! lol

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
olivejuicebby
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:03 AM

My husband put up plastic on the inside. I don't think its tacky at all. You can't even see it (We have blinds and curtains). We'll see how it helps on the bill. 

Photobucket

preemiemommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM

we do.  we live in an older house as well, and need new windows but can't afford it right now.  so we put plastic over them, on the inside.

i dont care what other ppl think. we do what we gotta do to keep warm!! :) 

My eggo is preggo!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
kenziedawnmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM

We dont but i have in a few place we lived because of the windows being not so energy friendly i dont think it is trashy to try to keep your home warm if thats whats you have to do then do it who cares what others think .

serioussifL
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I would like to do this, but the money and effort I would put into this seems pointless for how long our "winter" is in Texas. I would also be concerned about hearing the plastic when the wind blows really hard.

I am a breastfeeding and formula feeding, pro-choice, vaccinating, Turbo Jamming,
disposable diaper using, cio sometimes, cat loving, dieting, married
and love my husband
Army wife and momwww.myspace.com/serioussifl  Check out my music!

ErikaM27

i cover my sliding door with a blanket it helps lol i dont have plastic

Do you want to vent? Join my group!! WTF

natekenna

I say who cares? lol.. Last year we didn't put plastic up, and we have old windows and our gas bill ran upto $400/mo! Crazy! This year we put plastic on EVERYTHING!!! lol.. and our bill for last month was $92! Big difference! Where we are renting, they need new windows BADLY, but you get what you pay for, and we needed a place really quick so we took this one.

missamanda86
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM

We do, over the windows and the ac vents in the ceiling...i dont thin its trashy...hell it keeps my house warm and saves money and im all for taht

wedding planning guide

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Yes we do.  We live in an older house and need to replace them too.  But until then we do what we must. Plus we live in Wyoming up pretty high and the wind is always blowing.  Some days it can be 15 out but with the wind chill be -5 or lower.

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
wildwiccan83
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM

i go to homedepot every year and get plastic but the kind i get you hang and then use a hair dryer on it once you heat it it is completely clear you can't even tell it is there from inside or outside unless you touch it. If your self concious try it, it costs a little more but you still get the sunlight that is blocked by the thicker non seethrough plastic, which saves you from using lights all day.

luv2wahm
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM

When dh and I were first married we lived in an older home and we did...now we don't. We have double paned insulated windows. I do however, have curtains I put up in the winter that are thicker than the ones I have up in spring and summer...

Team Santa~

Who I am as a mom can not be expressed in a paragraph. It is expressed by who my children will become.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)