Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

home made snack ideas!?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM
  • 4 Replies

i give up on buying pre-made snacks for our house, they eat up too much of our food budget and then my DH and the kids eat them all within the first two weeks. So i plan on making all our snacks from scratch for now on. i have things like Chex Mix on the list, but does anyone else have any ideas? I'm looking for things that make a large amount that i can divide up, that will last more than one day if possible lol.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
luvstoshop
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I completely agree!  I have made granola bars - they are so expensive for a few to a box and they don't last long.  Very easy to make.  I also found a recipe for Breakfast cookies on foodtv.com - I just make them smaller than the recipe calls for.  I would love to find new ideas for snacks!

northernmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM

oooh cause you mentioned granola bars ( i haddn't even thought of that idea!) i found a recipie that sounds really good!

Quoting luvstoshop:

I completely agree!  I have made granola bars - they are so expensive for a few to a box and they don't last long.  Very easy to make.  I also found a recipe for Breakfast cookies on foodtv.com - I just make them smaller than the recipe calls for.  I would love to find new ideas for snacks!

Ingredients

• 8 ounces old-fashioned rolled oats, approximately 2 cups
  • 1 1/2 ounces raw sunflower seeds, approximately 1/2 cup
  • 3 ounces sliced almonds, approximately 1 cup
  • 1 1/2 ounces wheat germ, approximately 1/2 cup
  • 6 ounces honey, approximately 1/2 cup
  • 1 3/4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/4 cup packed
  • 1-ounce unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 6 1/2 ounces chopped dried fruit, any combination of apricots, cherries or blueberries

Directions

Butter a 9 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ onto a half-sheet pan. Place in the oven and toast for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down, evenly distributing the mixture in the dish and place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
akataml
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Try the cooking with kraft website.They have some awesome snack recipes in there 

funnymonkey.jpg funny as image by kingbajafunny-7.jpg Icon image by AnimeDeath543210050.gif mouse dance image by ghostly3

luvstoshop
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:09 PM

That sounds good!  I'm going to have to try that recipe.

meals.com is another good site. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)